Discuss Rookie mistakes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

OhmElectrical

Been chatting in work discussing silly mistakes or over sights that end up costing ages to resolve

For example saying to a friend I'll change your light fitting in bedroom for a couple of beers to spiral into a weekend pulling up loft boards to run in a new Earth to the faulty disconnected one somewhere in circuit.

Should have done a earth loop test before I quoted a 4 pack of Stella as payment.

So and I'm sure it can be done who can beat this tale ?????

First real rookie mistake that sticks in my mind was as an apprentice, making off I think a 185mm 3 core in a really confined space. Took an age to get it dressed in and glanded, then I realized I'd forgotten to fit the shroud!

First real rookie mistake that sticks in my mind was as an apprentice, making off I think a 185mm 3 core in a really confined space. Took an age to get it dressed in and glanded, then I realized I'd forgotten to fit the shroud!

stanley knife and a bit of superglue, with a cable tie at the top. done it myself.

When I was a labourer we all got called in on a Saturday morning for a large cable pull, much to the annoyance of some of the older guys who didn't really do overtime if they could help it.
The cable was a 120 or 150 4C SWA and had to be installed up in the roof girders of this factory and was to be passed through some heavy rope cradles before dressing in with unistrut brackets afterwards.
I got the job of being in the scissor lifter manhandling the end of the cable through the rope loops while all the guys below huffed and puffed to drag it off the drum and hoist the weight of the cable up to me.
We had probably got around 100m of it in before I realised that I had passed the end of the cable through the scissor lifter guard rail and it had to be taken out again.
Needless to say I got the bacon sarnies in that day.

and how many times have we fitted a rubber plug top then had to slit the cable entry , having forgotten to slide the cover over the flex first.

When I was a labourer we all got called in on a Saturday morning for a large cable pull, much to the annoyance of some of the older guys who didn't really do overtime if they could help it.
The cable was a 120 or 150 4C SWA and had to be installed up in the roof girders of this factory and was to be passed through some heavy rope cradles before dressing in with unistrut brackets afterwards.
I got the job of being in the scissor lifter manhandling the end of the cable through the rope loops while all the guys below huffed and puffed to drag it off the drum and hoist the weight of the cable up to me.
We had probably got around 100m of it in before I realised that I had passed the end of the cable through the scissor lifter guard rail and it had to be taken out again.
Needless to say I got the bacon sarnies in that day.

Bacon sarnies it's a wonder you didn't get a right kicking.

I done a fuse board change on a Saturday (love job for one of the family). Neutral-earth fault found on downstairs lighting, dropped a few light fittings down to try and break the circuit in Half to find every fitting had been JB'd above the ceiling, pulled carpets up above to find thin chip board so pulled this up to find tongue and groove floor boards. Needless to say it took hours and the fault was on the last leg of the radial typical! Never again have I ripped a fuse board off the wall without carrying out a few tests before hand lol

Made many school boy errors but most importantly I have learned from these mistakes.

Many of the jobs for friends end up them offering me a kebab etc I don't want that fat unhealthy food!!

The circle of tradesman that I generally work with have all agreed that if we want something done at our own houses we pay each other a day rate and no favours as it starts getting complicated when the plumber has changed your boiler but then you haven't got time to do electrical work at his house etc.

I have fitted a distribution board year's ago trunking and SWAs into the top , all done nice all tested Ok all tools and drill pack up except a screw driver just to fit the Lid and F$%K door does not open as it hits a hand rail in front of DB, but as said you learn from your mistakes so I away check the lid fits and opens before fixing the DB to the wall after that:hammer:

A great many years ago,me pal and i,paid an impromptu visit to a girls house...for a brew. We were in our work attire,and we knew her mum was a bit OCD,so she had paper on the kitchen floor and NO digestives allowed...anywho,i figured a good jape,would be some mucky hand prints on her "lady-briefs",left placed strategically around her bedroom...her mum being a nurse working nights.
Snook upstairs,crept in her bedroom,selected,marked and was hiding them,when light on,and there's her poorly mum asking a more than fair question....:conehead:
....met her a few years back,in Triage at local hospital,as she treated my youngest son....no hard feelings:icon12:

I know an apprentice that did that with the Pyro glands , he had left off all the carrots and glanded the pyros , hehe..

Reply to Rookie mistakes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net