Discuss Shafted in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

homesafe

Oh no,2 months ago one of our regular customers (estate agent) asked us to price up a rewire of a 3 story house in town,£2500+VAT alls well so far.
then he changes his mind and decides to convert the house into 2 flats,a one bed downstairs and then a maisonette on top,we verbally agreed £4400 plus VAT as there is a hell of lot of materials and I personally spent 2 weeks first fixing the place,alls still well.
We arranged to be payed half on first fix and the other half on completion of the job,after 4 weeks of the invoice being in we still had no money payed into bank,as my dad (boss) was going on holiday he was basically getting concerned about delay of payment because of stuff to pay like wholesalers TAX and me.He phoned the estate agent last Thursday who said he would pay over the internet that day,my dad went on his jollys on Sunday to Cyprus and Ive just found out today the guys pulled out of buying the house (he hadn't even completed,we never knew)He owes the builder £6000 and us £2000 and the plumber x amount.Shall I phone my dad and tell him,He is already stressed and to make things worse ive run out of work for next week and the phone aint ringing...:D

OMG - I would make sure you are on holiday when your old fella returns! Seriously, I think you need to take legal advice as although he didn't complete, if he had exchanged contracts then the purchase is legally binding. Either way, he contracted you so owes you money. I think you will have trouble proving the revised cost as you said it was verbal and although legally binding, you have to prove it was offered and accepted which, without witnesses will be virtually impossible. Good luck!

sorry to hear you been shafted,if it was me i would leave it until the last day of his hols before telling him otherwise you risk ruining his hols,it makes your blood boil when things like this happen,have you tried some gentle persuasion with the estate agent.

Do you really want to spoil your Dads holiday by telling him what has happend at this stage.

Not a lot he can do if on a package holiday, I think it would not be a valid reason to come home on the insurance and all he will probably do is worry for the next 2 weeks.

Agreed, let your dad be and I suggest you pay an unfriendly visit to the poncy estate agent in the meantime. I will offer my services for 50% commission;)

Agreed, let your dad be and I suggest you pay an unfriendly visit to the poncy estate agent in the meantime. I will offer my services for 50% commission;)

If the property is empty you can legally squat the property ,just get a few mates, get in and have a party ,take legal possetion untill a load a cash gets put up to get you out and avoid legal precedings.
They cant sell it with you in it:)

I can offer legal advise if you decide to do it this way

Last edited by a moderator:
If the property is empty you can legally squat the property ,just get a few mates, get in and have a party ,take legal possetion untill a load a cash gets put up to get you out and avoid legal precedings.
They cant sell it with you in it:)

I can offer legal advise if you decide to do it this way

Whats the point in squatting as if the estate agent pulled out of buying the house it will be no skin off his nose will it:rolleyes:

How longs it been since your dad last had a holiday and how long is he away for?
2 years since last holiday away for 2 weeks went on Sunday,

Ive got a meeting at 1.00 today with some random bloke who rang up last night who has decided to buy the house,and get this,he wants to turn it into 6 bedsits,so my first fix with 2 kitchens,3 bathrooms,2 seperate consumer units at either end of house is pointless,If there is one thing I hate its doing the same job twice.I spoke to the builder who is owed 6000 last night and he basically told us to walk away because the new guy is a dick,Ill let u know what happens.

let your dad enjoy his holiday.
You know who owes you money. tell him he can forget the polite way of doing things. that died years ago. If he has a office go down there and start kicking off. he wont want others to know he is a jerk. Dont get all heavy.. just start to let him know "his time is up"
i had it 15 years ago with a rich ----er in London who owned "Electric Beach" sun bed salons. this guy was going to NY weekends etc. at the end of the job he said "see you all in court" to the contractors. He wanted take his time and delay payment. I was paid within 24 hours. Once they think they can play with you ..it goes on and on

Oh no,2 months ago one of our regular customers (estate agent) asked us to price up a rewire of a 3 story house in town,£2500+VAT alls well so far.
then he changes his mind and decides to convert the house into 2 flats,a one bed downstairs and then a maisonette on top,we verbally agreed £4400 plus VAT as there is a hell of lot of materials and I personally spent 2 weeks first fixing the place,alls still well.

IS it the estate agency or the bloke from it that contracted you? I would send an interim invoice stating none completion due to? lack of access, Depends how regular and how good to work for this customer is as to whether yo got to reclaim the loss or write it off, phone call to your accountant wouldn't go a miss

Reply to Shafted in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net