Discuss Should I stay or should I go now?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Just checked i paid NAPIT £468, which comes with about 6 web notifiers, thats more than enough for me. When i get the VAT back and offset against CT it actually costs me £299 and thats it.
When customer say they want NIC, i tell them I'm with NAPIT and thats the way haha, haha, i like it, haha. Having said that i dont do Public sector (much)

Depends on your clients.

Purely domestic (your own customers) any will do.

If you work for rental agencies they may prefer nic.

Any council work will require nic too.

Not 100% true, local borough council round here is ECA/Elecsa

So I'm paying £478.80 +VAT for the privalege of letting them know that I've done a job. And then paying £1.50 +VAT for 'Insurance' for each job?

That is pretty S#!T.

So how much does it cost for me to tell the LABC via email etc of a job that I have done?

Could I become a part 'P' organisation? Or could we as a forum become a organisation and cut the cost of this scam to ourselves?

Blimy, Elecsa is only 444 inc the vat

Imo, we are getting what we deserve because we allow all of this carp to happen and better still do absolutely nothing at all about it, but moan to friends and on forums.

We are a profession raped by parasitic organisations and course providers, a profession that is easily duped into paying extortionate amounts of money to pass courses that only really require an ability to read (C&G 2382), a profession infiltrated by people who’ve been trained by buffoons that couldn’t wire a lighting circuit or understand a simple test no more than they could challenge an eiderdown to an IQ test.

PIRs done in 1hour for £45, CUs installed for £100 and I bet some electricians would do it even cheaper…. We cut each others throats every time a price is mentioned - “I’d do it cheaper”, “your being ripped off”, in fact a decorator charges more to paint a bedroom than some people charge to install, test and inspect (and notify) a cu change, bonding and new circuits and probably a sub-main thrown in to boot.

Fc*k the scams, the course providers, notification, amendments, new books every full moon, new qualifications when C&G need some cash, calibration every year (I’ve got a Cal card), sonic screwdrivers (torque I mean), safe zones, yep I MEAN SAFE ZONES – NO ONE ELSE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE, OR WHERE THEY ARE, what a complete waste of time!!!!!!!! And not forgetting chasing depths, joist drilling at span x whatever (no one else does), and to top it all, the crowning jewel, the wonderful JIB, what a shinning organisation, who’s only interest (not) is the well being of every electricians pocket (or what’s in it), they’re like a little cherry on top of a pile of…..

Not 100% true, local borough council round here is ECA/Elecsa

Blimy, Elecsa is only 444 inc the vat

Nice, glad some are coming round.

The majority seem to be still stipulating nic even though they shouldn't.

I live in a council house and the tenancy agreement clearly states an NICEIC contractor must be used for any electrical improvement work carried out.

I'm Elecsa..............................

I live in a council house and I do all my own electrical improvements (I'm elecsa not that it matters). Seriously though, I have recently received a letter from an electrical contractor who has been awarded the contract to carry out "electrical tests" for the council. They are NICEIC and state that they will carry out a PIR/EICR in an hour, in fact on the phone the nice lady from the company explained to me it usually can be done alot quicker. Cant wait to see what they do, may try to film it or would that be wrong?

I live in a council house and I do all my own electrical improvements (I'm elecsa not that it matters). Seriously though, I have recently received a letter from an electrical contractor who has been awarded the contract to carry out "electrical tests" for the council. They are NICEIC and state that they will carry out a PIR/EICR in an hour, in fact on the phone the nice lady from the company explained to me it usually can be done alot quicker. Cant wait to see what they do, may try to film it or would that be wrong?
Set up some hidden cameras and if he finds them then he is doing a good job, if not you have the record! (just put up the warning notice in an out of the way place):innocent:

A full EICR in 1 hour or less?
Go on, tell the guy that he is going to be filmed, and do it. I want to know how it is done.

Stroma website:

CPS Competent Person Schemes | Stroma

Should I stay or should I go now?? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Looks like EICRs are going the same way as the 60p PAT test still tell me one Schemie that has thrown a member out for doing a 1 hour EICR or in fact for a 60p PAT test yes they want to name and shame non members or anybody that uses their badge but dont pay for it but the wont even police their own members

Well lots of good advice. Looks like I'll be doing some research tomorrow. Going by the majority of the posts, ELECSA will be my first port of call; and if that goes well then the second will be to NICEIC to say thank you and good bye!

Had my annual visit with phil from elecsa last thursday and when i could dropped a few questions in about joe down the pub etc,elecsa are apparently thinking about setting something up online where you can name and shame joe and his like,remains to be seen what happens with that.

I'm in a similar position Billy, just about to renew but if I looked at the amount of notifiable work I did last year it would make the price of each job prohibitive if I added the cost onto them. I'm also a bit mystified with the Government who swept in saying they were going to cut red tape & help the construction industry. All they've done so far is introduce "Risk Assessment based PAT" a little earner we had in hard times gone, and keep the Part P schemes exactly as they are. We must be one most assessed vocations going, even more then doctors it appears!
I will say that Elecsa seems to be one of the friendlier schemes and as it's part of ECA it is more attuned to our needs.

This question is a no-brainer (which suits me)
Around my way the NICEIC name carries the most respect from the public/councils and yes, other electrical contractors even if they also belong to ECA etc
I am a DI with NIC just to make Part P issues go away. If I actually did a greater percentage of electrical work I would upgrade to Approved Contractor without much thought.

This question is a no-brainer (which suits me)
Around my way the NICEIC name carries the most respect from the public/councils and yes, other electrical contractors even if they also belong to ECA etc
I am a DI with NIC just to make Part P issues go away. If I actually did a greater percentage of electrical work I would upgrade to Approved Contractor without much thought.

Then it's the Councils and those other Contractors that are lacking in the Grey Matter. ...lol!!
Councils shouldn't be discriminating between accredited electrical contractors anyway!! Far too much bull**** being banded around by those that can't substantiate reasoning!!...

Last edited by a moderator:
but its getting any local authority work....
we all know that local authorities are supposed to `spread the work` between all the scams....just that they don`t though..do they...

but its getting any local authority work....
we all know that local authorities are supposed to `spread the work` between all the scams....just that they don`t though..do they...

Then i suggest anyone that has been discriminated against, by these rogue Councils, should take it up with their respective scheme provider. I understand this is one area where they ''Will'' make representations on both you're and their behalf!! lol!!!

Reply to Should I stay or should I go now?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock