Discuss Should I stay or should I go... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was subbing direct to a firm for three and a half years and was getting £110 a day (rubbish and works out at £13.75 an hour on 40 hours) and same rate as lads employed.

I then left and got on with another firm subbing at £16 p/h. Works a bit further (50 minutes) away but I car share with another two lads at the moment.

The old firm has asked me back on £125 a day and to run a job for them. I asked this firm I'm at now if they would employ me and they said they would. The yearly basic works out more employed with my holidays than if I go back subbing for £125 a day and an average of 4 weeks off for holidays plus I obviously wouldn't get paid for them.

Firm I'm at now is a proper set up with proper rates and all Plant and PPE provided as standard. I really want to stay where I am and go employed but the old firm have promised me two years local work.

I've probably already answered my own question but if I went employed with these which I want to do, what is stopping them laying me off come Christmas or when work dies down.

My mate and his pal have worked for them employed for three years and all their work is industrial (Quarries and Food Industry) which I can't see slowing down any time soon!

Thanks for reading.

stick where you are, your old firm seem to be a load of tight-arses - want you back but still at crap rates for running jobs.

Thats not an easy one and only you are really going to know the answer!

The new job at £16.50 p/hr is approx £123.75 for a 7.5hr day so its much the same wage as the old one is now offering plus you are happy there which is a pretty important factor.

Lastly you say 'I really want to stay where I am' so it looks like you have kind of made your decision already!

Good luck..

Work where you think you would be happiest, could a return to your old firm be considered a retrograde step? Lot to be said for being employed when you clock off at night you are finished for the day. No going home to write out quotes and invoices etc. No worrying about customers paying you and suppliers chasing you for money.
Remember there is more to life than just money.

I enjoyed my time at the last place as it was only a small company and had a good crack and all that but now I've been working for a proper firm it makes the last one look a tin pot outfit.

Sent you a pm mate

What's to stop your old mob laying you off if their work dies down mate subbys are always first to get pumped if the cards in lads are quiet plus the rates they are offering you are dire to make subbing work you ideally want 6 quid an hour more to cover all the cards in perks you don't get then abit more on top for running a job

from what you've said about your current employer if you get taken on cards in your getting a better rate than subbing to the other firm you get plenty of perks and it's better work too, no brainer really mate even with that extra travelling

Just keep taking their money rmc86uk!:angel_smile:

[video=youtube;Gcj34XixuYg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcj34XixuYg[/video]

Stay put. After 12months you'll get full employment rights. If before 12months they put you back on a sub list don't sweat it, go and work for your old firm as they clearly want you back.
Life is about taking calculated risks and in your case its defiantly worth sticking with new employer cards in! Good luck

Reply to Should I stay or should I go... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net