Discuss Simple Transfomer Debate in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

JonyKaBoom

Hi, the following question was passed to me, I would be very interested to hear what the professionals think on this one?

Hi, Hope someone can help? For weird reasons I want to use an MR16 50w downlighter lamp connected to a transformer. Due to circumstances, once in a while I may want to change the bulb to a 75w, but this may be once in a blue moon !

So I have the choice of 2 transformers, 65va or 105va, of course if I choose the 105va then I can chop and change bulbs as often as I would like to,(as the mini/max load range is 35w-105w) however with the 65va I cannot connect a 75w: Question: "If I decide just to install the 105va and run a 50w bulb from that, would I be using up unnecessary power from the mains?, as I know the bulb will only demand what it needs, 50w, but would a bigger transformer all be it not loaded to the max, maybe burn more lecy from the mains? Or would it be overall cheaper just to install a 65va transformer?, I understans there would be heat losses from the coils but surely not enough to pump up the bills!

Thank you anyone?

Hi,

yeah your right in that the lamp will only draw what it needs, so therore the supply will only give what it needs

Power out = power in

so IV out = IV in

so obviuosly the current drawn from the supply would be dpendant on the load connected to it. The VA rating of the transformer relates to its 'capacity' to supply power

so yes, apart from normal hysteresis losses within the transformer, which wont signifiacntly change regardless of using a 65 or 105VA, it makes no difference

oh and for 'weird reason'

is that the same as::rolleyes:

" Daddy, why do those big cigarettes smoked by those men with the long hair smell weird?"

"Dont worry son, they are naughty boys, they are using special 'happy' tobacco"

"their weird arent they Daddy?!";)

Who are you calling wierd:D

anyway use a normal flouresent tube to get them to germinate,and a sodium vapour lamp for growth.;)
put the lights on a time clock .plants like to sleep at least 8 hours every night and play them some happy music man .

i find most types of music works but for the older indicta strains ,avoid modern stuff ,indicta is a more "laid back "plant and seems to enjoy the old hippy stuff best.:)

skunk ****e seems to grow what ever you let it listen to,no class:p
atvbitwww

Who are you calling wierd:D

anyway use a normal flouresent tube to get them to germinate,and a sodium vapour lamp for growth.;)
put the lights on a time clock .plants like to sleep at least 8 hours every night and play them some happy music man .

i find most types of music works but for the older indicta strains ,avoid modern stuff ,indicta is a more "laid back "plant and seems to enjoy the old hippy stuff best.:)

skunk ****e seems to grow what ever you let it listen to,no class:p
atvbitwww

Well Rum, cant say i'm surprised:p

erm, ...whatever you mean:rolleyes:;)

Thank You Shakey!,

I was trying to avoid the 'weird' thing, but this is actually for setting up lights for an animation film which will combine CGI and tabletop photography, it's not weird arty stuff, more like 'Wallace & Gromit 's Day Out..with a carry out'

It was surprising how many 'tech' people could not give a straight answer like yours, myself I am qualified more towards elec engineering, so when I was asked if power was used up, I thought this is an easy one, then I thought, well a phone charger uses up a couple of watts or so when live but not plugged into a phone because it's still feeding a coil ??..

..If the police are monitoring this, please note it's only sunbeds I have on in each room !

cheers team

Hi ,yeah Skakey does come up with very good,easy to understand,consise answers ,even if he jumps to the wrong conclusion about your meening of "wierd stuff".
i think we should give him a special title,yeah ,he can be team captain ,here he is ,shakey the sparkey:eek:

Attachments

• Simple Transfomer Debate shakey - EletriciansForums.net
    shakey.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Simple Transfomer Debate in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock