Discuss Standby Hell in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi does anyone else here do a standby at their work?Every 7 weeks i do a standby from friday to friday.

Friday 8am - 3.30pm On call from 3.30pm till Monday at 8am

Saturday on call all day

Sunday on call all day

Monday 8am - 4.30pm On call from 4.30pm till tuesday at 8am

The rest of the week is the same until i finish on the friday.

It is an absolute nightmare,not so much in the summer months but in the winter i can get anything from 12-25 jobs a night and seeing as its the council i work for,most of the houses are a total sxxxheap.

Emergencys include faulty mains smoke alarms,immersion thermostats,neutral to earth faults,lights out in stairwells,smashed sockets,switches etc etc etc.

Anyone else do this type of shift?

I USED TO DO IT

POSITIVES KEPT ME OUT THE PUB FOR A WEEK AND GOOD MONEY

NEGATIVES LONG WEEK TIRED NO PLANNING

I DID IT ONCE IN EVERY FOUR SO YOU JUST GOT IN A ROUTINE

i ACTUALLY MISS IT WELL THE CASH ANYWAY

Same routine here - about 1 in 10 weeks though. Our work is also council / housing association stock, so I understand the problems. Fortunately the last few times I've done it, it has been fairly quiet. It depends on the callout operator. The one I've been on with recently is very good at weeding out dumb calls where they are just trying to get a response job booked for out of hours to suit their convenience, and is also very goot at telling people we will not change an immersion heater in the middle of the night - boil a kettle.

The money is pretty good, and I'm hard up. Mind you, they guy who has just finised his stint today has had a pig of a week!

Reply to Standby Hell in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock