Discuss SWA Spanners in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Slowbutsure

Hello

Been disconnecting a few SWA glands from some 20mm galv conduit boxes which are screwed down to steel purlins at high level in a warehouse.

I only have adjustable spanners!, and the gland body and back-nut are close together so 2 adjustable's don't work. For the 3-core 1.5mm SWA cable I'm using the nuts are 21mm 'across the flats' and the spanners must not be any thicker than 6mm!

No problem I thought I'll just nip down to my local electrical wholesaler who'll be sure to have SWA spanners. When I asked about SWA spanners I got a mystified look with comment 'never been asked for those before', I tried several others with similar response's.

Does anyone use the correct spanners for SWA's and if so where do you get them?

Best regards

Slowbutsure.

Hello

Been disconnecting a few SWA glands from some 20mm galv conduit boxes which are screwed down to steel purlins at high level in a warehouse.

I only have adjustable spanners!, and the gland body and back-nut are close together so 2 adjustable's don't work. For the 3-core 1.5mm SWA cable I'm using the nuts are 21mm 'across the flats' and the spanners must not be any thicker than 6mm!

No problem I thought I'll just nip down to my local electrical wholesaler who'll be sure to have SWA spanners. When I asked about SWA spanners I got a mystified look with comment 'never been asked for those before', I tried several others with similar response's.

Does anyone use the correct spanners for SWA's and if so where do you get them?

Best regards

Slowbutsure.

No I mustn't

I had this problem when I was an apprentice and couldn't find a spanner to fit so I made one out of 2"x 1/8th flat bar,in fact it was only last week when my apprentice had the same problem and after digging it out and dusting it off it made light work of the stubborn glands, he's going to make himself one now! It's not the prettiest of tools but hey, it works!:)

I had this problem when I was an apprentice and couldn't find a spanner to fit so I made one out of 2"x 1/8th flat bar,in fact it was only last week when my apprentice had the same problem and after digging it out and dusting it off it made light work of the stubborn glands, he's going to make himself one now! It's not the prettiest of tools but hey, it works!:)

A picture would be good , I for one would be interested in seeing this !

you can get slim adjustables

18b8dbfd46379c7ffc280ac26689240b.jpg

there are similar on amazon etc

to be honest i tend to use grips on the inside or hammer and knocking driver

Last edited:
QUOTE=Aindowsimon;1149929]A picture would be good , I for one would be interested in seeing this ![/QUOTE]

Like I said not the prettiest.
PC080035.jpgPC080036.jpg

Some other tools that were made around the same time:
PC080038.jpg
Obviously I didn't make the 'footprints' but thought it worthwhile showing the tools that were 'hip' at the time!:)
The other tools in the picture are a pair of bush keys (20mm/25mm)short and long reach and a locknut spanner that covered sizes from 32mm up to 50mm.

QUOTE=Aindowsimon;1149929]A picture would be good , I for one would be interested in seeing this !

Like I said not the prettiest.
View attachment 30874View attachment 30875

Some other tools that were made around the same time:
View attachment 30876
Obviously I didn't make the 'footprints' but thought it worthwhile showing the tools that were 'hip' at the time!:)
The other tools in the picture are a pair of bush keys (20mm/25mm)short and long reach and a locknut spanner that covered sizes from 32mm up to 50mm.[/QUOTE]
with sites like this its tempting to get parts made

www.protolabs.co.uk/cnc-machining/cnc-milling.

Reply to SWA Spanners in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net