Discuss T.V Install in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

a.e.s

I am doing a bit of work at my parents house and want to install their new T.V for them. In order to minimize the clutter that normally comes under T.Vs, sky box, dvd player etc I want to locate these under the stairs, about 10 metres away. I have done jobs like this with my old firm when I was a trainee, but I was just getting all the cables in place and did not do any of the connecting up. So I was wondering if anyone else does this, which manufactures and systems do they use. Also what do people do about HDMI cables, because obviously over this range, the quality will diminsh a lot I would imagine. I remember one job I did and we used 2 CAT 5 cables through a device which enabled us to do this with a good result, does anybody know anything about this. If anyone can point me inthe right direction with a company or website that would be able to help me I would be most grateful, many thanks in advance

10m is fine for HDMI infact 20m is with good cable, over 20m you need Cat5 or Cat6 cables and extenders. You also need to consider control how to change channel on sky turn on DVD etc

You wont loose quality on a HDMI if you go too long, it just wont work at all!

Personally we wont install a cable longer than 10m for full HD. We have done a couple of 11m for certain jobs but certainly wouldnt entertain a 15/20m+ HDMI cable.
If your installing it in a wall etc.. you need to think about future proofing it, when 1080p is outdated and 1440 comes in, your 20m HDMI cable wont have the bandwidth to run it!

Also, through experience we use Twin Cat6 for HDMI distribution as Cat5e can be glitchy.

Reply to T.V Install in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net