Discuss Targeting potential employers in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DavidM

Hoping to get some advice on contacting employers from those that've found some success from it!

I've already started contacting a few, albeit via letter only. The companies I've wrote to are; Balfour Kilpatrick, Bailey Building Services, Rok, GS Hall and regional company called Gus Robinson. I've targeted these as they carry out the kind of work I'd like to get involved in, i.e. new builds. Maybe I should target smaller companies?

I guess the following are the best ways to go about it:

1. Via Telephone
Not a great option if you've a rubbish telephone manner!

2. Via Letter
I've already sent a few speculative letters but with little success. Although this could be more to do with the companies I've wrote to (see above). Anyway, below is the first paragraph of my speculative letter. Would this suffice or is there any improvements I can make?

I am writing to you, with attached CV, with regards to possibly finding employment within your company, in the Durham/Tyne & Wear area, to acquire the skills and experience necessary that will enable me to become a fully qualified electrical craftsman.
The letter goes on, but just elaborates on what I've been doing recently career-wise.

Also, for those that've contacted loads of companies via letter where did you acquire companies details' from?

3. Ad in paper
In a 'Job wanted' style. Can't do any harm I suppose, but not a lot different from the option below?

4. Ad on website (Monster, etc.)
I've already got my CV on the above website, however, I guess I need a more eyecatching 'CV Title'. Any ideas?

Thanks.

It sounds like your in the same situation as myself. Breaking into the industry without a great deal of experiance just seems to be a very steep up hill battle.

What i have learnt and have been advised is to put a great deal more effort into contacting companys via the phone.

I've sent many e-mails to companys and can only remember one reply. however i'm finding i get better feedback over the phone, this could be simple that people are under pressure on the phone but can easily delete e-mails or bin letters.

i started by contacting people that are advertising jobs on different web site but tend to find these to be mostly agencies and are not a great deal of help unless you have experiance and have the right qualifications. Contacting companys direct from yellow pages or local paper seems to be more sucessful

with determination i'm sure their will be that one chance and we will make our break from there.

best of luck and hope this helps a little.

I posted my CV on about 4 websites and have got my last 4 jobs via them plus numerous other phone calls from agencies asking if I was available for work.;)

I posted my CV on about 4 websites and have got my last 4 jobs via them plus numerous other phone calls from agencies asking if I was available for work.;)

I guess you're a fully qualified electrician though? I'm only part-qualified (if there's such a thing) and have about a years experience as an apprentice.

It sounds like your in the same situation as myself. Breaking into the industry without a great deal of experiance just seems to be a very steep up hill battle.

What i have learnt and have been advised is to put a great deal more effort into contacting companys via the phone.

I've sent many e-mails to companys and can only remember one reply. however i'm finding i get better feedback over the phone, this could be simple that people are under pressure on the phone but can easily delete e-mails or bin letters.

i started by contacting people that are advertising jobs on different web site but tend to find these to be mostly agencies and are not a great deal of help unless you have experiance and have the right qualifications. Contacting companys direct from yellow pages or local paper seems to be more sucessful

with determination i'm sure their will be that one chance and we will make our break from there.

best of luck and hope this helps a little.

Without wanting to sound totally incompetant, what do you say when you call?

Do read the job ad carefully and pick out the key words used in the ad to re-use in your cover letter and resume. However, make sure your claims are genuine or you will come unstuck at the interview.Don't create just the one resume or cover letter to send out to every potential employer. Tailor each application to the job you are applying for.Do keep a track of all your applications and the people you deal with. A hiring manager or recruiter does not want to hear "Tell me again what job did I apply for?"

When I phone up, I usually introduce my self, explain I sent them a letter and ask if they received it and what they thought of my CV. Breaks the Ice. Then I tend to ask whether they are taking on apprentices. If they don`t, ask if they could recommend anyone who might be.

So far alot of the electricians have been very welcoming.

Reply to Targeting potential employers in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock