Discuss The marine aquarium in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MDJ

Here is one to start from my site, I have literally Hundreds if not more of all types, if no interest I will not bother, if anyone wants to see more let me know. Cheers

Attachments

• The marine aquarium suezoomfts - EletriciansForums.net
    suezoomfts.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 124
Looks amazing, I really want one.

Been looking into it all lately, obviously not marine though.
I have some freshwater tank pictures as well, I love the hobby, you will enjoy it, just remember this, water changes are the difference between a nice tank and an incredible tank.

Very nice.... i have always wanted one.
Do they have a self cleaning system or some sort of dosing system
Well a tank like that has what is called a sump underneath it where Chemicals and cleaning equipment is installed along with masses of biologically live rock to keep the water in good health. There can be carbon reactors for chemical filtration as well as a sock on the output pipe from the tank for mechanical filtration and the usual biological filtration systems. There is a large protein skimmer for keeping the water in tip top condition also and many other things too timely to mention in one post.

How often would you recommend changing the water?...
Depends on what your set up is going to be. The biggest mistake made by new aquarists is the fact they buy a tank then fill it with fish and an enviroment before actually knowing what they want. If you are new to the game I would suggest a river set up, buy a tank as large as you can possibly fit in the space you have because after a few weeks the Buzz will set in and you will want to upgrade lol. With a river tank you can fill the bottom with some fine gravel or sand and have a planted aquarium with C02 feed the plants alongside fertiliser. When you first set it up you should be replacing water every 4-7 days with pure clean water to remove toxins like ammonia and nitrite. Nitrate however is fine is small amounts as the Nitrogen cycle will deal with it quite easily. When the tank is established and running well and you have introduced a nice shoal of Rainbow fish for example I would recommend a 10% every week water change. Every 2nd week clean top sponges and mechanical filtration, clean any algae off glass etc, keep powerheads and pumps clean and generally have your hand in the tank regularly to keep it well maintained. I literally could go on for an hour and write a huge start up and maintenance program in the order you would need to start haha, but It is a bit much here on this forum. If you really want to get involved shoot me a pm and I will give you a link to my site make you a member and you can spend hours reading up all about the hobby.

That looks amazing ! It rivals a similar tank in my local public aquarium.

I have kept freshwater tropicals before, but didn't have much success in keeping them alive with regularity. When the water was right it was great. I seemed to have issues every other week though. Gave it up after a year.

The mrs has a 45ltr bio orb red rectangular tank with tropical fish in it. It has the standard filter and air bubble tube thing as well as a second filter but the water is never crystal clear and she gets a green build up over the white stones in the bottom which is unsightly. What are we doing wrong ?

Hi,

Just saw this post, looks really good. I used to have a marine setup, ill switch my backup drive on and get some photos from it for you to see.

That looks lovely I bet it's really relaxing. I have a BiOrb dome tank with two goldfish in and that's relaxing enough. Pump is loud as though, any advice
Is it the pump or vibration that is causing the noise

Last edited by a moderator:
The mrs has a 45ltr bio orb red rectangular tank with tropical fish in it. It has the standard filter and air bubble tube thing as well as a second filter but the water is never crystal clear and she gets a green build up over the white stones in the bottom which is unsightly. What are we doing wrong ?
How often are you changing the water is the tank in direct sunlight

It is all about Nitrates in the water stream, as Dingledong above mentioned water changes, they are paramount to owning a quality aquarium, heavily planting aquariums can also help, Nitrates are part of the nitrogen cycle, fish poop should get absorbed by plants and beneficial bacteria as part of the cycle, the filter housing the beneficial bacteria can only do so much work, water changes and plants need to help to deal with the rest of the unwanted nitrates, if you have certian fish you can add nutrient free RO water which will help to drastically remove algae from the water stream, however trace elements will need to be added back into the water, lets have some more info on your tank and it's set up, occupants, filtration etc and we can put a plan of action up for you Ryan.

Reply to The marine aquarium in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock