Discuss This has me mystified! in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

Ok. based on another recent thread I hope we can get to some sensible suggestions to this conundrum I have due to a visit on my way home today!

Underfloor heating (recent install) is tripping the RCD - the CU has all socket circuits and lighting circuits on the RCD so when it trips pretty much everything goes off.

Underfloor mat is this stuff:

Floor Heating | Underfloor Heating Foil - https://www.magnumheating.co.uk/products/32-1-floor+heating+/p-226-MAGNUM+foil+set

There is only the L & N running from the controller to the mat, so no CPC and thus its not possible to IR the system

An IR test from the L of the mat, (L & N both disconnected from the controller) to the CPC of the socket circuit its connected to via a FCU only gives just over 1 meg ohms.

End to end reading is OK.

I did a direct connection from the FCU to the mats and it tripped immediately .

The installers put this down about 6 weeks ago and its not worked properly since then.

The mats are laid side by side and with 5 mats connected the RCD goes immediately, with only 2 connected, the RCD holds. Which points at one of the 3 disconnected units having an issue but the installer says it has worked with all 5 connected.

What was interesting is that when the mat is on, there is a distinct "hum" from part of the floor.

Having read the manufacturers website and checked with the installer, they didn't use the damp proofing foil!

Any comments, sensible or off topic please - I've never seen this stuff before and hope some of you have!

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds strange to me.all the ufh elements i have ever come across are a coax cable. the inner is the element L-N (end to end), and the outer is cpc.

Hi - I've not used that foil, it looks fragile for flooring installer use (sorry to be blunt). My 20p is one of "the 3" has been punctured and is in contact with the original concrete floor (?), but you'd think IR would be lower ... And the buzzing is the mat vibrating in the space between new flooring and original floor (not properly secured?).

what's the end-end continuity of each?

I take it they used the polystyrene insulation plates?

Given they haven't followed manufacturers instructions and now have a earth leakage fault then I suggest damp has got into the insulation plates if fitted, my advice is be blunt and tell them it will have to come up and be done properly if you are to try repair it and put your name to it.
The humming does sound like tracking or arcing so suggest the mat is damaged or badly terminated.

I've not seen or used this heat mat, however I've used a similar looking product years ago when I was still learning. It was supplied by a conservatory company, I can't remember the make but it came on transparent plastic laminate it only had a L & N connection that that pushed onto a terminal on the mat, it looks very similar to your product.

Had a few issues all had the same problem it was where the push-on L&N connector didnt quite make a solid connection on the mat, it got hot around the connector and damaged the mat.

Not saying this is the problem here, and it was about 17 years ago so but it was similar symptoms to what you have described.
I remember it well because I got the blame !

Studying the construction of the Magnum heat foil there are Line and Neutral metallic edges running left and right along its length. The heating elements are strips connected between these edges at regular intervals. There is no metallic foil above or below. The N is earth referenced so there is a voltage gradient both between the edges along an element but also to the flooring beneath. Is the polystyrene heat and sound insulating layer in place? This layer would also act to electrically insulate the elements from the flooring which is at local ground potential.

The floor underneath, if it is concrete will have conductance which depends on its chemical make up and moisture content. Wet concrete might have conductivity of 100 OhmMetre whereas very dry concrete 100 MegOhmsMetre. (see : Electrical conductivity - http://www.concrete.org.uk/fingertips-nuggets.asp?cmd=display&id=996)

My pondering is each heating mat will inevitably have a high resistive and capacitive leakage because of the close proximity and large conducting surface area of both the element and floor beneath and above. The polystyrene insulation would reduce these leakage components.

More mats - more leakage current.

I wonder too if there is a best way to lay the mats side by side to minimise leakage current ie:

Is N-L L-N N-L L-N arrangement better than N-L N-L N-L N-L? I have not formed a definite view yet on which is likely to be better but I have a hunch it is the latter.

Time I think to do some earth leakage current measurements to learn more.

Reducing both the maximum potential difference between the mat and the floor and the potential difference to earth across the mat would reduce the earth leakage current. So feeding the mats by a 240V supply galvanically isolated from the mains would reduce the leakage current.

Other than this probably impractical and uneconomic potential 'solution' I reckon it is a question of digging up and re-installing correctly with the polystyrene and metal foil layers.

All academic thinking but maybe of some use to you.

Last edited:
possible that he has nick it on the cable and a dead short .and has it some damp.
The live and neutral cables are singles .....I might agree with you on that one

I dont like electric UFH at the best of times, when pressured into installing it I always use the warmup brand. The mat in the link looks pretty fragile to me, and I particularly don't like the method of crimping connections to it as shown in the image.
If you have 1M between conductors and a local cpc, then in my opinion its end of story, it needs replacing.
Out of curiosity, what sort of room is this mat installed in?

Reply to This has me mystified! in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock