Discuss Tin Snip Recommendations in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
I’m looking to buy a decent set of Tin Snips, mainly for cutting ceiling grid. Rather than drilling it when fitting cables etc for CCTV.

I’ve heard that Gilbow are Old School but that they are really good. But I’m also interested in other recommendations. Thanks

I’m looking to buy a decent set of Tin Snips, mainly for cutting ceiling grid. Rather than drilling it when fitting cables etc for CCTV.

I’ve heard that Gilbow are Old School but that they are really good. But I’m also interested in other recommendations. Thanks
Why do you need to cut ceiling grid to install CCTV, I've been installing CCTV for many years and only ever needed to trim the perimeter angle and shadow batten to allow trunking to be fitted in some cases

Why do you need to cut ceiling grid to install CCTV, I've been installing CCTV for many years and only ever needed to trim the perimeter angle and shadow batten to allow trunking to be fitted in some cases

I’ve installed it for years too. I work in F&S we only take a little bit out the grid when we’ve installed some Trunking.

The latch on my Dewalt tin snips has a habit of not holding the jaws closed; so they always spring open when in transit. Other than that have been fine, but I wouldn't buy again,.

What about:

Metal Shears, Aviation Snips with Wire Cutter, Straight Cut Klein Tools 1202S https://amzn.eu/d/1HuqQgh
If the ones on ebay are the same as an old pair I have, they don't allow as much leverage as I'd like and are hard work.
The amazon ones look ok.
I have these:

As commented above I use a hacksaw on ceiling grid, sometimes with pliers or clamp holding it to stop it vibrating.

If the ones on ebay are the same as an old pair I have, they don't allow as much leverage as I'd like and are hard work.
The amazon ones look ok.
I have these:

As commented above I use a hacksaw on ceiling grid, sometimes with pliers or clamp holding it to stop it vibrating.

I might leave the one one eBay. I’ve not tried a hacksaw tbh.

I’ve found these on eBay:

I may also get some small clamps as you mentioned.

Last edited:
I normally use Aviation compound snips for thin steel and mini trunking the Lidl set of three I bought a good while ago have lasted well and won't be retiring anytime soon having the three snips means it is easier at times when you are in tight corners as you have the option of left, right or straight cut

If Im reading it correct, I use hacksaw and bend and tap up into the void to accommodate my trunking.
Tin snips would kink the soft material IMO.
That is how I do it , 2 cuts with a sharp hacksaw and just bend the flap up and hammer flat

Most lads I see use tin snips or even side cutter s😱

Reply to Tin Snip Recommendations in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net