Search the forum,

Discuss To be reactivated or not to be reactivated? in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

kcanning

DIY
Reaction score
I ripped off the old cracked coverings on a wall to install new gyproc. I found in the wall an electrical single gang box (without the receptacle). The white and black wires were black-taped over.

I removed the tape and connected both wires to this device. I did this process twice. First by putting the black wire to the right side of device/white wire to left side of device. Then I switched wires around. In both instances the bottom center orange light of the device illuminated [open ground]

Then I pushed in the round black button that says: "Push to check GFCI", and in both repeated instances the bottom left light, and the bottom center light both illuminated [hot/neutral rev]

I want to put a receptacle in this single gang box so that the room will have an additional plug-in.

Can an electrician please tell me if those READINGS suggest I should not reactivate that buried box...or is it perfectly okay to make this an operating receptacle again?

PS: I discovered that although buried behind the wall, it is still connected to other active receptacles/lights in the house.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_7147.JPG
    514.5 KB · Views: 23
  • tester.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 14
you seem to have power at his cable, so at the moment, its dangerous as it is.

A GFCI... (help me out, @Megawatt ) is a Ground Fault Circuit Interuptor.... so it needs a ground wire connected for it to work correctly and give the correct readings. Connecting 2 out of the 3 pins will give false results.

you need to employ the services of a professional electrician in your country to help with this.

I am in UK, and although it seems simple enough... i dont want to offer any advice that may not be 100% accurate.

Megawatt is USA based and might have a better idea.

littlespark, the device has GFCI black push button on it. Excluding that written on the device... the wiring itself has nothing to do with GFCI. The wiring is on a series of other regular plug-ins and lights (5 in total) The receptacle was never a GFCI. It was at one time a plug-in for I guess a tv or vacuum cleaner. I only want it to be likewise. It will NOT be a GFCI, it will only to be a normal plug-in for a tv or vacuum cleaner.

the device you have there is a GFCI tester.... but you are not testing a GFCI, as there's not one fitted.... (unless it in the panel?)

What i am saying is that the testers lights are indicating there is no ground... It is a warning to you to NOT proceed with the test.

Any receptacle will require a hot, a neutral and a ground to operate safely.

It may be that there is a ground wire we cannot see on the photo... or the container for the wires is metallic and will act as the ground.... It may be for certain receptacles, it doesn't actually need a ground... as its not my country of speciality, I have asked Megawatt for input

the device you have there is a GFCI tester.... but you are not testing a GFCI, as there's not one fitted.... (unless it in the panel?)

What i am saying is that the testers lights are indicating there is no ground... It is a warning to you to NOT proceed with the test.

Any receptacle will require a hot, a neutral and a ground to operate safely.

It may be that there is a ground wire we cannot see on the photo... or the container for the wires is metallic and will act as the ground.... It may be for certain receptacles, it doesn't actually need a ground... as its not my country of speciality, I have asked Megawatt for input
Got ya. I am using the wrong tester device. ... as it's not a GFCI circuit. Anyway, houses in this neck of the woods were wired 70 years ago or even longer. None of the wiring in the walls in these old houses had any ground wires at all. ..only a black and a white. (Unless people did some upgrades over the years for microwaves, air fryers etc) Thanks

Got ya. I am using the wrong tester device. ... as it's not a GFCI circuit. Anyway, houses in this neck of the woods were wired 70 years ago or even longer. None of the wiring in the walls in these old houses had any ground wires at all. ..only a black and a white. (Unless people did some upgrades over the years for microwaves, air fryers etc) Thanks
If I were you I would call an electrician, your home has no equipment grounds and I would highly suggest that if you decide that you want to make a receptacle the it’s required to be GFCI and install a label on it stating that it has no equipment ground. My advice is to put the wires back in the box and install a blank cover. Good luck

If I were you I would call an electrician, your home has no equipment grounds and I would highly suggest that if you decide that you want to make a receptacle the it’s required to be GFCI and install a label on it stating that it has no equipment ground. My advice is to put the wires back in the box and install a blank cover. Good luck
It never was a GFCI. It isn't required to be a GFCI. I don't want it to be a GFCI. It used to be a normal 15 amp plug in. I want to make it the same again.

Reply to To be reactivated or not to be reactivated? in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net