Discuss to TT or not to TT in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning everyone
It seem I have another outside job.
this time the run is 44 metres with about 2 metres going into a chase in a concrete path so calculated for underground.
the job is to supply a double socket at the end of the garden but eventually this will be where a large shed is going to go into which they will want sockets lights and a heater
Board has one spare way but dual RCD
So thinking of putting in a 63 amp fused main switch
then of course an RCD weather proof double socket.

But I've allowed for 38 amps i.e garage unit
so as a section is underground its coming up at 10mm rather then 6mm if all over ground.
by the way i'm using 3 core SWA
That's not the problem.
I just know you like lots of info.

The question is would you TT or not?
and why would you TT or not TT?
I like watching John Ward and he's not a fan of TT so if you would TT would you test it as a ZE an the sub board or test it using the 3 pins

Thanks again for your help

The main argument for going TT is when you have a TN-C-S supply and have some issue with bonding extraneous conductive parts. If you are using 3-core 10mm SWA then your CPC size is adequate for bonding on all system.

So really the only remaining issue would be if there was a reason to worry about the bonded metalwork presenting a hazard to true Earth if you were unlucky enough to have a PME fault?
[automerge]1590319120[/automerge]
Final thought: make sure there is enough of the SWA feed to the socket left that it can be used to the final garage CU location. You could do a resin joint later if needed but life is much easier and more reliable if you don't have to!

The main argument for going TT is when you have a TN-C-S supply and have some issue with bonding extraneous conductive parts. If you are using 3-core 10mm SWA then your CPC size is adequate for bonding on all system.

So really the only remaining issue would be if there was a reason to worry about the bonded metalwork presenting a hazard to true Earth if you were unlucky enough to have a PME fault?
very true but in that case the whole house would be affected not just the shed, so no to TT in your view?

[automerge]1590319120[/automerge]
Final thought: make sure there is enough of the SWA feed to the socket left that it can be used to the final garage CU location. You could do a resin joint later if needed but life is much easier and more reliable if you don't have to!
Thanks but have allowed for and extra 6 metres which will be coiled up as they don't know exactly where the shed is going

very true but in that case the whole house would be affected not just the shed, so no to TT in your view?
Generally if you have a reliable TN-derived earth then you should use it.

The issue is when you have something conductive outdoors that is on the CPC and if it were to go to ~100V under the rare PME fault condition it would be a hazard. Just now the focus has been on EV chargers for this case (with someoene washing the car when a fault occurred, etc), but in the past it was prohibited for building sites, etc.

Typical outdoor power tools like lawnmower, hedge-trimmer, etc, are not an issue as they are mostly double-insulated.

So at the moment it seems that we mostly are in the john ward camp.
and that my calculations and equipment are ok
but just for argument's sake if I went TT how would you test it as I've been shown 2 ways
[automerge]1590319659[/automerge]
Hypothetical question: what would be the problem if you did TT the supply at the shed?
Is that aimed at me or everyone?
[automerge]1590319757[/automerge]
Just putting it out there I have to sign off as the dog is getting impatient for his walk sorry.
I'll return later hopefully to find more questions and some answers

Hypothetical question: what would be the problem if you did TT the supply at the shed?
Assuming this is a general question, then my answer is you are trading off:
  • Reduced risk of a PME-fault making bonded (Earthed to most folk) equipment live.
  • Increased dependency on the RCD action to clear any fault (which is less reliable then the MCB trip action).
Now I don't really have any numerical values of the probability of either fault leading to death/injury so I can't honestly advise either way. But if going TT then I personally would spend the extra to have a 100mA S-type incomer and separate 30mA RCBOs on the final circuits to avoid any single point of failure in earth fault protection.
[automerge]1590320598[/automerge]
but just for argument's sake if I went TT how would you test it as I've been shown 2 ways
With TT you have two things to test as both are needed for fault clearing:
  • Earth rod impedance
  • RCD trip action
Testing the RCD is standard for any MFT, the issue really is the earth rod and making sure it is reliably below 200 ohms (for most systems at 100mA/30mA RCD action).

Testing the rod without AC power is more fundamental, but needs suitable test equipment and many MFT lack that capability, and usually involves a bit of poking rods in the ground at a fair distance to see if you get the plateau for the "fall of potential" result. But there are various other test approaches (mostly more expensive in equipment to carry out).

If you have AC power then simply using your MFT to do a Zs measurement with the rod as the earth is easiest, but needs more care and may lead to the unfortunate case of finding out it is not good enough and having to isolate it again before getting another rod (assuming the first was not driven down far enough).

That is another risk with going TT - you need a earth rod (or equivalent reliable connection to Earth) and some folk just hammer it in without checking if there are buried pipes or cables in the area!

Last edited:
I never thought for a moment that someone would instal an Earth Rod and not check its impedance or location, if attached to a RCBO of suitable value in the DB would that not cover any problems that may be encountered?

Interesting plant cultivation, I assume you mean Orchids.

lose a nuatral then your buggered ,TT IT .44 mtrs away .
These sort of statements always confound logic.
What if you TT and someone cuts the earth lead to the rod? What if the RCD you are totally reliant on for earth fault protection fails?
No electrical system is immune from faults and a TT has every bit as much potential for danger as a TNCS. And what difference does the distance from the supply make? 4m is safe but 44 isnt?

Like the majority, I see little point in abandoning a perfectly wonderful earth loop impedance of less than half an ohm (from the TNC-S) for a weedy TT rod that will maybe provide something like 200 ohms except in a dry summer or when the gardener has chopped the cable when clearing the bind weed. (I've done it).

No extraneous conductive parts? stick with TNC-S. (IMO)

I never thought for a moment that someone would install an Earth Rod and not check its impedance or location, if attached to a RCBO of suitable value in the DB would that not cover any problems that may be encountered?
Of course the rod, location, protection of cable, etc, would all be thought through and tested when done professionally :)

The issue is not one of "Is a proper TT installation good enough?" as clearly it is. The debate comes from looking at the possible failure modes and the likely lack of any further testing of RCD/RCBO for possibly a decade or more once installed, and comparing it to the TN-C-S case also available.

Yes, the RCD have test buttons. Yes folk are told to check them regularly. But...

Interesting plant cultivation, I assume you mean Orchids.
Those are interesting plants for sure, and potentially profitable as well.

Reply to to TT or not to TT in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net