Discuss Toolkit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Sparky_Ben

I am a doing my tech cert 2330 at college and in the new year I am goin to start and get my tools together. What would you recommend as good tools to have in my kit and what makes to get. I understand that irazola screwdrivers are the best so I am goin for them but what pliers, wire strippers would I need. Could you please let me know as I dont wont to buy tools which wont stand the test of time.

Been using bahco screwdrivers for a while now and really liking these. Also dont think you can beat a set of CK combi 3 cutters. But then again its all down to whoevers using them. Personnally i can't get on with the irazolas, but then thats just me.....

I thought that knipex were th best after looking around myself, so in th screwfix catalogue there are several types, the com bination pliers, long nose pliers, wite strippers and th cable shears also where would I be able to but that tool which cuts the armoured cable to strip it?
sorry i dont know the name of it

Irazola screwdrivers, dont buy the set just what you need as some you wont ever use.

Knipex snips, pliers if you require them.

Glanding spanners (using footprints or water pump pliers is just rough IMHO)

Voltage tester or fluke rms tester if your doing more industrial jobs.

Hacksaw, jnr hacksaw, allan keys, tape measure and torch.

If working industrial buy a croning tool, 17,19,21 spanners and crimping tool (ratchet type)

If working domestically buy wood saw, floor lifter (bolster works quite well), scotch hammer for raggling, cold chisel, pad saw for cutting out gyproc, holesaw sets for cutting in downlighters and a battery drill.

I thought that knipex were th best after looking around myself, so in th screwfix catalogue there are several types, the com bination pliers, long nose pliers, wite strippers and th cable shears also where would I be able to but that tool which cuts the armoured cable to strip it?
sorry i dont know the name of it

Stanley knife and jnr hacksaw.

Anything else is a waste of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok thankyou, also do you buy your tools from wholesalers or online? maybe a mixture of both I was thinking if I should buy mine in store as this will be my 1st set of tools and then I can see if they are right.

ok thankyou, also do you buy your tools from wholesalers or online? maybe a mixture of both I was thinking if I should buy mine in store as this will be my 1st set of tools and then I can see if they are right.

From various places, normally online now as I know what quality comes with different brands.

For your first set do it "in store", stay clear of the likes of your large DIY stores as they are robbing feckers.

Small ironmongers, DIY stores and tool shops will be your best bet.

Where im from we have loads of them.

I use Electrical & Electricians Tools available at Toolbox nowadays for some stuff and RS for the other stuff.

just out of interest in a previous post said dont buy the set of irazola screwdrivers just buy the 1's that i will need.
What sizes will be needed slotted and pozi?

just out of interest in a previous post said dont buy the set of irazola screwdrivers just buy the 1's that i will need.
What sizes will be needed slotted and pozi?

Id leave out the second smallest size of slotted and smallest size pozi as they are of no use (slotted is too wide for switches and not strong enough for much else). The largest slotted is debatable if its required as generally its only worthwhile for the larger terminals in a DB but your largest pozi gives you a better tighten so defeats the purpose of having two, plus the large pozi is excellent for mount celing fixtures.

This is all personal opinion and you will find with time that you get a feel for what you prefer.

I dont use pliers only snips, whereas some other guys in my work dont use snips and only pliers.

Its horses for courses and what you prefer.

Screwdrivers, snips, pliers buy the best you can afford. Most other things you dont really require to buy expensively either.

Rember to keep your receipts and claim for them

hi all

for gods sake don nott by draper we are supplied by the company with this rubbish

even the humble wickes screw driver is better love knipex but you pays for what u gets

rs components but you need two morgages to buy anything and a dpc code

cheers

thats the thing I dont actually have an employer at the moment so I will have to just buy them out of my own pocket, I am not bothered about this because I might get an employer who wont give me a tool allowance anyway so I would still need to buy them.

thats the thing I dont actually have an employer at the moment so I will have to just buy them out of my own pocket, I am not bothered about this because I might get an employer who wont give me a tool allowance anyway so I would still need to buy them.

Keep your reciepts for the tax man, plenty of things to claim for once your working.

Even if you are PAYE

also been looking at cordless drills i have looked on here but there seems to be a divide between makita and dewalt so a guess it just comes down to personal preference but what I want to know is which is best 18v, 24v, 36v or is that just paying for more power when it isnt needed?

Reply to Toolkit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock