Discuss Travel payments in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking at starting a new job soon with a lad who works for himself, who used to work at my current company.

Was just wondering if anyone here had/have similar experience. I thought travel time would be included but it’s not, I’ll be getting to his house for 6; get on site for 7 then leave between 3-4. I’d only be paid for the hours on site rather than the hour from his to site and back, is this normal?

(UK by the way) thanks

I haven’t signed the contact yet. Sorry should of stated this.
Then get it finalised before you start, no good winging if it's not sorted, if you're getting to his place at 6 then that's where you should be paid from. Time leaving until a time agreed by you both at finishing time, may be at a different rate, but needs agreeing before you take the job on, he seems to be extracting the waterworks, mate or no mate.

Yes it is normal if you are self employed you get paid for the hours you work not the travel time unless agreed prior to job

Then get it finalised before you start, no good winging if it's not sorted, if you're gey..tting to his place at 6 then that's where you should be paid from. Time leaving until a time agreed by you both at finishing time, may be at a different rate, but needs agreeing before you take the job on, he seems to be extracting the waterworks, mate or no mate.
Will do. Just wanted to know if it was my legal right to be paid from his house to site, as on the JIB rates they have a ‘transport provided’ & ‘own transport’ option. Seems a bit crappy to be unpaid for 2 hours a day.

Will do. Just wanted to know if it was my legal right to be paid from his house to site, as on the JIB rates they have a ‘transport provided’ & ‘own transport’ option. Seems a bit crappy to be unpaid for 2 hours a day.
Agree, but like I said, starting an finishing, needs to be agreed, before you start in writing.

Just meet him at the site rather than going to his place first.

New rules came in a few years ago for travel time, working hours and whether you have fixed place of work..
Bit of a mine field really, don’t think it’s being enforced, everyone I’ve spoke to aren’t even aware of the newis ruling.

New rules came in a few years ago for travel time, working hours and whether you have fixed place of work..
Bit of a mine field really, don’t think it’s being enforced, everyone I’ve spoke to aren’t even aware of the newis ruling.

This is the case if anyone is interested.

But your either self employed or JIB. You can't mix and match to suit. SJIB rate is 21p per mile after the first 15 miles. I guess JIB is similar. You could ask to have the contract changed to include travel but isn't this a CIS/ self employed situation?

As above it's whatever you can agree and be happy with, but if he's on his own you'll struggle to get much out of him.
I've met people in the past who worked as a crew and who've travelled 3 or 4 hours each way to site with no pay, just picked up in company transport.
The driver was paid tho.

Personally I'd avoid the job.
Working for a mate (soon to be former mate) is never going to end well.
He'll always take the mickey with you , where he won't with a stranger.

I'm cards in for a company and get paid after 30mins of travel. So if I travel 1 hour to a job I'll be paid 30 minutes at normal rate.

I think even that's taking the mickey, if your driving then your working.

I'm cards in for a company and get paid after 30mins of travel. So if I travel 1 hour to a job I'll be paid 30 minutes at normal rate.

I think even that's taking the mickey, if your driving then your working.
And if you’re the passenger you’re probably sleeping.

Reply to Travel payments in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock