Discuss Usa 2 Uk in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

U

usa_uk2004

Hello everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help me?

My name is Megan, I am 26, I am a British citizen and moved to the USA a few years ago and gained citizenshiop as my dad is American.

I have recently bagged a great job as an statewide/national "Electric Lineman Apprentice" In Oklahoma USA, It will be 4-5 years till I am fully qualified as an "Electric Lineman Journeyman" as they call it here in the USA.
Its a tough job but I love it.
I live in Tornado alley where there is a lot of storms, hot weather and Tornandos, so I will gain lots of experence here.

I work on High voltage powerlines that feed the city I live in.
I work for the city that I live in, in Oklahoma(Like the Council in the UK).

I miss England, the culture, food and the people badly and just cant see myself living here in the USA forever.

I would like to know what are the chances of me getting the same job in England as an apprentice after I gain a couple of years experience, or once I am fully qualified?

I know the voltage is different here, but was wondering if my experience and/or my qualification would be valid in the UK, and if not what would I have to do to onvert my apprentice years or my qualification over so I could use it in the UK?

Also what would an apprentice with 2+ years experience expect to earn in the UK?
And what would a fully quailified lineman (Electric Cableman) expet to earn?

If anyone could help me that would be great.

Thanks, Megz

Hello everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help me?

My name is Megan, I am 26, I am a British citizen and moved to the USA a few years ago and gained citizenshiop as my dad is American.

I have recently bagged a great job as an statewide/national "Electric Lineman Apprentice" In Oklahoma USA, It will be 4-5 years till I am fully qualified as an "Electric Lineman Journeyman" as they call it here in the USA.
Its a tough job but I love it.
I live in Tornado alley where there is a lot of storms, hot weather and Tornandos, so I will gain lots of experence here.

I work on High voltage powerlines that feed the city I live in.
I work for the city that I live in, in Oklahoma(Like the Council in the UK).

I miss England, the culture, food and the people badly and just cant see myself living here in the USA forever.

I would like to know what are the chances of me getting the same job in England as an apprentice after I gain a couple of years experience, or once I am fully qualified?

I know the voltage is different here, but was wondering if my experience and/or my qualification would be valid in the UK, and if not what would I have to do to onvert my apprentice years or my qualification over so I could use it in the UK?

Also what would an apprentice with 2+ years experience expect to earn in the UK?
And what would a fully quailified lineman (Electric Cableman) expet to earn?

If anyone could help me that would be great.

Thanks, Megz

I saw some job adverts for people in the midlands willing to train people up as over head lines men not two weeks ago.

I saw some job adverts for people in the midlands willing to train people up as over head lines men not two weeks ago.

I saw a similar ad in the Portsmouth News not too long ago either. I would imagine any experience you get with the US system is going to be good, and all skills you'll learn will be transferable. I think there's a shortage of these skills in the UK, so good chances of getting relevant employment.

Reply to Usa 2 Uk in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock