Discuss Vehicle Gates in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
OK so I work for a company primarily dealing in Fire/Security/Warden Call/Intercom/Comms/CCTV etc. we have taken on a big contract this year and are constantly getting OOH vehicle and ped gate call outs, now all of us engineers here are new to these, granted sometimes its pretty straight forward however we do use a sub contractor for the more advanced problems.
Our concerns now are that our employer is putting more and more pressure on us for first time fixes, and expecting us to try everything and get these 1 ton gates fixed. It has been 4 months and we are constantly bringing up the lack of training and knowledge which is worrying us, last week they arranged a training "course", this was twenty minutes of a gate engineer taking us through the basics of how they work, they now want us to sign a sheet saying we have been trained.
I am reminded of the cheshire gate company who were prosecuted after the death of a child crushed in a gate, also I know engineers have been liable and gone to prison for similar cases.
Lads are calling me up because im a bit more clued up on HR side, but im not sure what to say apart from read what you are signing and dont attempt a job you dont feel comfortable with.
Typically we attend a call out, cant fix the gate, isolate and manually open and referr to subby, then follows a strongly worded email from the MD saying this isnt good enough we need it fixed there and then.
No parts are available, still no training, and when something goes wrong guess who gets the blame!
Can anyone experienced advise on where we stand from a legal and HR POV?
If we dont feel comfortable or safe servicing these gates with 1.5tonne motor force behind them surely we are within our right to refuse on these grounds.?

I'm sure someone will have wise words for you , Nothing worse than out of your comfort/skill zone and they driving for productivity and as you said could crush a cow never mind a person

This might not put your mind at rest to any great extent, but your boss is an idiot if he thinks that simply getting you to sign a document stating you've been trained means that he has no responsibility for the outcome. If the worst happens and the HSE get involved, they will crawl all over not only his training records, but they'll examine the content of the course itself, quality control, knowledge checking, practical experience etc., all of which is his direct responsibility. The best I can advise is simply this: if you aren't comfortable that you can do the job safely, don't do it. It's as simple as that. he may get rid of you, but sooner or later, it will bite him on the bum, and he'll find himself in court answering some very difficult questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell him you would like to go on the training courses provided by the Door and Hardware Federation (DHF), or get in touch with Came about doing their safety course which is very similar, this will show you all you need to know about the safety side of automatic gates, they also have course to show how all the kit works from barriers to sliding gates to swing gates and intercoms etc. There is a lot of new legislation regarding force testing and the use of rubber safety edges etc, this all came into force after the 2 children killed down your way in 2010 and is being pushed further all the time, you need to know what you're doing and also carrying out the appropriate testing, it will fall on you if anything goes wrong, especially if it is signed off. If you need anything else just give me a message.

Hi,your boss should not be tendering for,accepting,or attempting to do work,he is unable to fulfill.

He could do this,if it was passed directly to an individual or company,capable of assessing faults,and understanding their responsibility in regard of any repairs or legislation.

Any work,advice,repairs or any other act,regarding such devices,will,in the event of an incident,be included in any subsequent investigation.

There are plenty of good natured,well meaning,handy and willing employees,who find their way to court,during HSE investigations,next to their respective employers,and have to share their slice of the punishment.

Give your boss the chance of offering the proper training,back-up and,of course,insurance...which at present,must surely be stretched...

If not,train yourself,jack,and pick up this work as a competent rival :heart:

Reply to Vehicle Gates in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock