Discuss Water damaged PYRO in flat in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TPES

Hey all what do you think to this..

Ive had a call out to 2 faulty lights in 2 different bedrooms.

Bedroom 1, the lights work, but when the customer changes the lamps they blow very quickly.. (so he says)

Bedroom 2, the lights dont work at all, the customer has tried new lamps but nothing.

All cores are black.

Further investigation in bedroom 2 revealed the circuits are installed using MIMS cable. The feed is at the fitting with switch wires down to the switch.
I removed the switch to find no voltage at all on either core. After time belling out the cores i determined what was what.
When i removed the light fitting i found alot of water damage to the cores, This had been caused to the flat above being flooded over 6 months ago. See the attached photos

In the photo you will see..

Feed in / N in
Feed out / N out
COM down to switch
Switch Live

From what i have figured there is no voltage at the switch as the COM down to the switch has been damaged/broken.

I tested this by linking the Switch live into the Perm feed, this will give me voltage at the switch, but when the switch is switched there is no voltage back up at the light. Only one of the cores seems to be intact.

I need to write a report on this of the dangers and whats needs to be done to rectify the fault. what would you write?

Has anyone come across this before? What do you think?
I'm sure it will need a re-wire

Attachments

• 200902121220_131.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 89
  • 200902121220_133.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 200902121221_134.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 200902121221_135.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 74
hi did you do a continuity test on all cores i could be reading your post wrong but if you
just put a live on the switch and switched on how do you know its not just a faulty
switch i just cant see you loosing a line on pyro through water damage without getting a short
try a insulation test between lines and lines and earth (outer sheath)

Last edited:
hi did you do a continuity test on all cores i could be reading your post wrong but if you
just put a live on the switch and switched on how do you know its not just a faulty
switch i just cant see you loosing a line on pyro through water damage without getting a short
try a insulation test between lines and lines and earth (outer sheath)
agree with the old dog here,you really need to be separating all your wires and meggaring(ins restance test) all your cables,to sheath(earth).You will then have readings on each core then to back up your report,this will enable you to mark up your colours also.I couldn't make out from your pictures clearly,but it would appear that the installer has used 3 core,giving a possable spare if you could use the sheath as the sole earth?? (or are they pots with an earth tail?) It is possable for cores to break but usually due to excessive wiggling rather than water

I have a similar problem (pls read my own thread)

Tell me.. how did you word your report and also the pics do look like it was caused by water damage. Did you reccomend complete rewiring to the whole property? what sort of remedial work did you have to do in the meantime

Hey all what do you think to this..

Ive had a call out to 2 faulty lights in 2 different bedrooms.

Bedroom 1, the lights work, but when the customer changes the lamps they blow very quickly.. (so he says)

Bedroom 2, the lights dont work at all, the customer has tried new lamps but nothing.

All cores are black.

Further investigation in bedroom 2 revealed the circuits are installed using MIMS cable. The feed is at the fitting with switch wires down to the switch.
I removed the switch to find no voltage at all on either core. After time belling out the cores i determined what was what.
When i removed the light fitting i found alot of water damage to the cores, This had been caused to the flat above being flooded over 6 months ago. See the attached photos

In the photo you will see..

Feed in / N in
Feed out / N out
COM down to switch
Switch Live

From what i have figured there is no voltage at the switch as the COM down to the switch has been damaged/broken.

I tested this by linking the Switch live into the Perm feed, this will give me voltage at the switch, but when the switch is switched there is no voltage back up at the light. Only one of the cores seems to be intact.

I need to write a report on this of the dangers and whats needs to be done to rectify the fault. what would you write?

Has anyone come across this before? What do you think?
I'm sure it will need a re-wire

I have a similar problem (pls read my own thread)

Tell me.. how did you word your report and also the pics do look like it was caused by water damage. Did you reccomend complete rewiring to the whole property? what sort of remedial work did you have to do in the meantime

The pictures look like BESA boxes in concrete, with a bit of TLC they should be OK.
Why recommend a full rewire? It would be a nightmare unless you’re one of these plastic trunking cowboys. The insurance isn’t likely to fall for your little scam.

Reply to Water damaged PYRO in flat in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net