Discuss What d'ya reckon? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

drcat

10 Kw Shower installation, CU 2 floors down and 4 meters back. Approx 10mm2 cable run of 12 meters. Can I spur from lighting circuit in attic above airing cupboard into separate RCD enclosure fixed in airing cupboard to reduce wiring run or do I run fully to CU and install RCBO (if poss)or fix a separate shower RCD enclosure there?

yeah i think this chap was having a friday evening laugh!! he's worded stuff as a sparky would! sept for the lighting circuit thing obviousyl

This is what happens when you put a shower through lighting cable fed from the ring. It works once (briefly) and then you get your house rewired :)

What d'ya reckon? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

1.5mm 6242Y from ring

Chock strip to connect the 6242Y from ring to 6243Y 1.5mm to shower. Got a bit warm eh;)

Where shower used to be.

Service Head -> 2 tails -> Meter -> 2 tails -> Isolation switch (Already in place) -> 2 tails (25mm2)-> DP Henley -> four tails (25mm2) -> existing CU & Separate Shower CU (63A 30mA RCD, 50A MCB) and I think 16mm Earth from Shower CU to Existing CU. I'm buying the stuff in, mate supposed to be fitting 'em, he's a spark. I just wanted to know if there was a better / easier way really (and I was trying to show off), hadn't thought properly 'bout the light circuit spur thing, thinner cable and lower rated MCB an all that - I'm a chippie see. If I can't nail it or screw it i'm stumped! I did do 2 yrs of 'leccy apprenticeship 20 yrs ago... shh! - but didn't learn 'owt except for mitring trunking, chasing walls, Lifting / replacing loft insulation and making lots of tea. As it happens, the guy I was apprenticed to got electrocuted and killed on site. I'm not a fan of electric, I don't know how you guys work 'Live'. Bloody stupid if you ask me. Though I'm OK spurring the odd socket here and there but thats about it. When I told sparky mate what I posted, he pi553d himself laughin'

Oh Aye - One more thing - I've been advised that Main Earth Bonding should be upgraded to 10mm as there is more load (I have a 60 amp service head) with this shower but sparky mate reckons it'll be OK as is... Whats the general concensus? Main earth bonding refit would require power cut by DNO yes? Would the DNO be the ones who upgraded the Main Earth Bonding? I have a TN-C-S system so would PEN conductor need upgrading also? Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Service Head -> 2 tails -> Meter -> 2 tails -> Isolation switch (Already in place) -> 2 tails (25mm2)-> DP Henley -> four tails (25mm2) -> existing CU & Separate Shower CU (63A 30mA RCD, 50A MCB) and I think 16mm Earth from Shower CU to Existing CU. I'm buying the stuff in, mate supposed to be fitting 'em, he's a spark. I just wanted to know if there was a better / easier way really (and I was trying to show off), hadn't thought properly 'bout the light circuit spur thing, thinner cable and lower rated MCB an all that - I'm a chippie see. If I can't nail it or screw it i'm stumped! I did do 2 yrs of 'leccy apprenticeship 20 yrs ago... shh! - but didn't learn 'owt except for mitring trunking, chasing walls, Lifting / replacing loft insulation and making lots of tea. As it happens, the guy I was apprenticed to got electrocuted and killed on site. I'm not a fan of electric, I don't know how you guys work 'Live'. Bloody stupid if you ask me. Though I'm OK spurring the odd socket here and there but thats about it. When I told sparky mate what I posted, he pi553d himself laughin'

Oh Aye - One more thing - I've been advised that Main Earth Bonding should be upgraded to 10mm as there is more load (I have a 60 amp service head) with this shower but sparky mate reckons it'll be OK as is... Whats the general concensus? Main earth bonding refit would require power cut by DNO yes? Would the DNO be the ones who upgraded the Main Earth Bonding? I have a TN-C-S system so would PEN conductor need upgrading also? Cheers!

well to answer the question, you would need to clarify, are you talking about earthing or bonding - there is no such thing as earth bonding;)

are you talikng about the emain earth or the bonding going to your incoming gas/water?

If you have a mate that is a electrician why are you asking these questions as he is the one who is going to notify this work through his scheme provider or LABC and he should be advising you on what to buy as he will be responsible.

Not being funny but just confused:)

I'm interested, that's all, reading this forum has piqued my curiosity. Something new to learn. I like knowing what is what.. simple as that.

Reply to What d'ya reckon? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock