Discuss What’s your thinking of this in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
just wondering your take on this,picture took above false ceiling.
Is this really the state of things to come.

Attachments

• CFB655EA-2AA5-46C5-8DF5-E2C711421E0D.jpeg
    549.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 71F10287-3167-40A1-9FE3-36BA2D1AADDA.jpeg
    513 KB · Views: 144
That's been normal since the beginning of retrofit false ceilings.
And then crossed over into new build.

I've seen far worse that Telex's pic, but never wasted time taking pictures of it.
Large SWA's leaping through the air.

In refitted supermarkets all the old lighting, still fixed in the tiles pulled up out the way (so someone can come back later and remove it) so the new ceiling can be fitted.
Guess what, no-one came back.
Temporary 110v flu lighting still hanging, sometimes still powered.
Been there 20 years or more

Last edited:
That's been normal since the beginning of retrofit false ceilings.
And then crossed over into new build.

I've seen far worse that Telex's pic, but never wasted time taking pictures of it.
Large SWA's leaping through the air.

In refitted supermarkets all the old lighting, still fixed in the tiles pulled up out the way (so someone can come back later and remove it) so the new ceiling can be fitted.
Guess what, no-one came back.
Temporary 110v flu lighting still hanging, sometimes still powered.
Been there 20 years or more

This made me chuckle , I have come across old fluorescent lights slung up in ceilings still all connected up all live and in some cases with smashed tubes still in them.

As others have said that seams the standard today al least it's on basket and they have glanded the cables off . Normally when I try and lift a ceiling tile. 2 tun of ruble fulls out All the cables are resting on the ceiling grid there is about 30 old fluorescent lamps disposed up there along with old light fitting, An empty pack of Park Drive and if your lucky some tools from when the last spark was up there :)

It might be argued though, other than being untidy,is it really an issue? Playing devils advocate here but lets say you'd rubbished it to a client....he'd say well, it's out of sight...is it dangerous?
To which the answer would probably have to be no, it isn't dangerous.

That reminds me of my work place; poke your head above ceiling access panels or ceiling tiles, and thats what I see.

Doesn't end there; with todays heavy rain, I've been called out three times, and the problem is above, with similar workmanship and bad roofing, and rain dripping all over similar shoddy cables FCU's and connections inappropriately located. I've seen hundreds of FCU's, JB's etc. None labelled to let you know what they control.

Every time one of the old contractors turns up to rectify latent defects, they have an eastern European accent. Not suggesting that some of our British brothers are anything better.

Crazy,just why would you do it.
One light swap that left me a little embarrassed was where i left 20 odd 600 modular fluorescent fittings in various ceilings. All were diconnected and tubes disposed of however.

Spent ages trying to remove one before giving up as it was mathamatically impossible without dismantling the ceiling.

The, retrofit, suspended ceiling had only been dropped about 4" and can only imagine the fittings were installed as the ceiling was built.

Explained all this to the customer who was very suspicious and spent the best part of an hour trying to remove one himself, including borrowing my tools.

Sheepishly, he came back to ask if I could help put the butchered grid back together which I did, it looked a right mess.

To be fair he apologised and agreed they can stay in situ for eternity.

A couple of weeks ago I had to fold/butcher one to get it out before replacing for an LED panel, didn't take long but looked pretty brutal to the dental nurse looking on. I had to explain that it was the only way to get the thing out. Recent units are generally made of tin foil and are easy to butcher, older ones are made of sterner stuff and offer more resistance

honestly, I read these posts and have to ask.... where do some of you guys expect to run the cables, on the tiles? if you say "yes" you haven't worked on too many commercial jobs.

honestly, I read these posts and have to ask.... where do some of you guys expect to run the cables, on the tiles? if you say "yes" you haven't worked on too many commercial jobs.
Times have changed, finding a customer who is willing to pay for Tradesmen quality work is not easy.

All they want is functioning, reliable and cheap. Compliant is rarely on their radar, in fact most are blissfully unaware of the Regs.

The 'above ceiling vistas' above are really quite common however the vast majority of the rats nest is data, CCTV, fire alarms, entry systems etc.

Quite often see a cable bundle hung in banding with everything else hung off it.

We expect to see conduit/trunking, tray and basket installed in the void for the different types of cables.

And a lot of the time this is how new installations are carried out.

The problem comes when alterations or additions are made.

Reply to What’s your thinking of this in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net