Discuss which way now in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

flukey

-
Reaction score
hi all.
bit of advice or opinions needed please.
i have been working in and around the electrical trade for over twenty years as a neon, led and fluorescent sign fitter.
i have decided to take on some domestic work as its now time for a change.
i have 2330 level 2 and level 3, 17th edition and am awaiting results of my recent 2391 exams:eek::eek::eek:
i obviously need to register with a decent organisation to keep the local authorities etc happy and would like to know who is the best choice for me as i am a sole trader????
all advice appreciated.
cheers

Personal choice at the end of the day. Elecsa is the cheapest at around £400 a year and NAPIT next cheapest with the out and out front runner rip off merchants (NICEIC) at around £800 a year IIRC. I like NAPIT but ELECSA also look up and coming. NIC are getting shed loadsa complaints at the mo due to poor service levels.

hi all, ive paid £430 something to nic and got me assesment on the 22nd, ive asked them if there are any more fees and they said thats it till i subscribe again next year?

rich

I think full nic registration is around the £800 mark , but as a sole trader working on domestic properties you can register under the nic part p competent person scheme for around £400 01582539700 nic - rather that the rip off 0870 number they give you

ahh that be it matey, im just going for full scope domestic installer then after months (which is nic's minimum time scale) gonna go full nic dooflop!
guess that explains the higher price!

rich

thanks for the responses.
are there any benefits that nic have over say napit or elecsa or are they just more expensive??
also the 2 jobs they all need to see before registration is completed, would they have to be done via a building notice to meet all relevant regulations.

NIC is the marker leader in this field. Every household has heard of them and there advertising budget is pretty hefty (london cabs,radio). I receive a lot of work thorugh the NIC website which you can alter your details to suit your company. If you think about it, a normal add in yellow pages would cost around £700 so it's not that bad value for money for enrolment included. The thing that annoys me is that all the 16th edition certificates are now redundant and I had to buy a load of new 17th edition to keep up to date. Along with this there are a constant stream of guide manuals, DVD's and other assorted literature that they "recommend" you purchase for cross reference. Also the yearly inspections can be a money spinner for them as if you have to pay for them to come out and waste a day looking at some of your work. Nit picking anything that does not comply... I'm not bitter though but when they produce the standard finger and start ramming it into gaps it gets a bit ridiculous.

I have a friend who has joined the ECA from the NIC and says that the ECA look after the contractor more than the customer whereas the NIC seems to be more focused on the customer.

having spoken with both nic and napit today you can certainly tell the difference between the 2.
napit seem to be a lot more welcoming than nic who gave me the impression they werent bothered if i joined or not.
think i will have to do some proper homework on this before the final decision is made.
cheers for all the replies.

I think the NIC are very focussed on cash! Our boss mistakenly ordered a load of the long periodic inspection forms (the old 6 page ones) instead of the standard 3 (now 4) page ones. He wanted to return them, and they wanted to charge him for the privelege PLUS not refund any of the money. It was only when he spoke to somebody senior and threatened to join Napit that he got any sense!

NIC is the marker leader in this field. Every household has heard of them and there advertising budget is pretty hefty (london cabs,radio). I receive a lot of work thorugh the NIC website which you can alter your details to suit your company. If you think about it, a normal add in yellow pages would cost around £700 so it's not that bad value for money for enrolment included. The thing that annoys me is that all the 16th edition certificates are now redundant and I had to buy a load of new 17th edition to keep up to date. Along with this there are a constant stream of guide manuals, DVD's and other assorted literature that they "recommend" you purchase for cross reference. Also the yearly inspections can be a money spinner for them as if you have to pay for them to come out and waste a day looking at some of your work. Nit picking anything that does not comply... I'm not bitter though but when they produce the standard finger and start ramming it into gaps it gets a bit ridiculous.

I have a friend who has joined the ECA from the NIC and says that the ECA look after the contractor more than the customer whereas the NIC seems to be more focused on the customer.

God I can tell you are with the NIC. Every household has heard of them? Crap - I would say no more than 5% of householders know that any body such as the NIC even exists!

Reply to which way now in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net