Discuss Whose responsibility? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
An easy one for you chaps!
At what point in your house does the system become your responsibility and not the providers?
I wont bore you with the details but just had a phone call saying all electricity is off.
They have had a problem with the main fuse but the provider now seems To be washing their hands of it.
ADVICE PLEASE!

The house wiring finishes (or begins) on the out side of the meter.

Ie it starts with the tails that come from the meter to the cu.

If an isolator is fitted after the meter then it starts there.

Clear as mud?:D

The house wiring finishes (or begins) on the out side of the meter.

Ie it starts with the tails that come from the meter to the cu.

If an isolator is fitted after the meter then it starts there.

Clear as mud?:D
Thanks so would I be right in assuming that if there is no power to the meter that this is definately the concern of the supplier and NOT the owner!
Cheers

Thanks the suppliers fuse seems to be faulty though it is in place,so to get off your backs is this the suppliers problem or the owners?

Its the suppliers fuse, us electricians are not suppose to mess with their stuff, they are usually sealed with a tag and we can be fined (although we do cut them in reality and play dum....sshhh!) but there must be a very good reason for the main fuse to go?

Sorry edit - the suppliers problem!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its more likely that the substation has tripped. Very rarely does your house main fuse go, if it has it could be a fault that requires the rewiring of your sub mains cable.

If its just the fuse then its a 30 second job to replace so dont let them fob you off.

It is their responsibility.

Ex electricity board.

Thanks to all of you,
I'm getting this story second hand so bare with me.
The supplier's installer put in a new meter some months ago,all was ok then last week all the power went down. The owner called the supplier who sent someone round. He informed them that it was not their problem and advised to call an electrician.A.pparently he did a quick fix
Then last night power went off again,after your advice I informed them to get the supplier round pronto.
The bloke turned up told them that the tails were loose or incorrectly fitted,fixed them properly,all ok.He did mention that the previous fitter was "always doing this" before he left.
Cheers
Gerry

The bloke turned up told them that the tails were loose or incorrectly fitted,fixed them properly,all ok.He did mention that the previous fitter was "always doing this" before he left.
Cheers
Gerry

What before he left the company?

I did say there was a very good reason for the suppliers fuse to go. Loose tails, incorrectly fitted is a very good reason!

I would be getting something off my next electricity bill from that supplier for the inconvenience let alone the potential hazard left by them. :mad:

Thanks to all of you,
I'm getting this story second hand so bare with me.
The supplier's installer put in a new meter some months ago,all was ok then last week all the power went down. The owner called the supplier who sent someone round. He informed them that it was not their problem and advised to call an electrician.A.pparently he did a quick fix
Then last night power went off again,after your advice I informed them to get the supplier round pronto.
Cheers
Gerry

You've had your meter installed by an a "meter fixer" mascarading as an electrician.

Most electricity companys employ these guys and they are worse than clueless.

Only a few months ago, i was called to student digs where they had lost all power.

Quick waft about with the voltstick confirmed no power out of the suppliers fuse.

So i snipped seal, pulled fuse. Checked fuse for continuity, Nothing. Phoned supplier and they were there within couple of hours, replaced fuse, resealed, job done.

It was however, a 60A fuse, and they can go on for years overloaded until one day they will let go.

Reply to Whose responsibility? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock