Discuss Wire strippers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

AP Electrical

Just out of intrest who use's what wire strippers? seen alsorts about but I've stuck to my old plier type wire strippers, anyone use the automatic ones and are they any good?

They do allsorts. You can flick the handles round and use them to open boxes.
You can't use them on steel or live wires though, unless you want to break them.

Im with novus, you simply cant beat the shears. That is all you need, whether you are stripping alarm cable or cutting 25mm tails... just got to learn that no matter how many times I try they just cant cut 3.5mm screws!!!

I use good old 'side cutters' or 'snips' as I call them.
But have you seen this bad boy Draper Expert 185mm VDE 6 in 1 Plier/Side Cutter/Wire | eBay UK

It's not a great picture, but you get the idea..
I was sent a free pair by Draper to evaluate. I didn't like them and ended up giving them to an apprentice.
The draw back to the design is the position of the stripping notches at the very point I normally cut with my CK combi-cutters, if there were other advantages I could have changed my technique, but they flattered to deceive.
The angled head design didn't seem to be more comfortable in use and the cutter blades where less robust, hard or sharp compared to my trusty CK.
The wire loop capstan however is a nice touch and works well.
The bootlace ferrule crimper works on small flex sizes, but is really a gimmick because it's obviously not as good as a ratchet crimp tool. For the one off OK, any more and I was reaching for the ratchet which is faster and consistent.
The accessory screw cutters work OK, but required more leverage than my CK.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive got a set of wire strippers which i use for panel work, as some companies (national grid and YEDL sites) ive worked for wont let you use shears on panel work.
the shears are the best, and they are just as good at small sizes as they are at bigger ones. i would never again use side cutters, and havent since college.

Like the above post - I too have a pair of wire strippers mainly used for panel building, the ones i have have got a built in cutter as well and you can set the depth of how much you want to strip off,

heres the link to to rs where i got them from, Buy Automatic Wire Strippers / Accessories Adj precision wire stripper,0.25-0.80mm CK DG9912872 online from RS for next day delivery.

a bit expensive but use them nearly daily for 5 years and not had to change the blades yet!

I have a pair of these in the bottom of the bag somewhere........

Wire strippers {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

http://www.electriciansforums.net/Images/Products/size_3/FXSTRIPPER.JPG

I have a pair of these in the bottom of the bag somewhere........

Wire strippers {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Got the same ones great for singles and flex, though I started off with the CK ones but found the handles too hard so bought a version that had them rubberised.

lenny i too have a pair of the CK strippers not a fan you have to turn them round to use as it damages the sheathing otherwise
I am not a fan at all would have preferred some cable shears or a ratchet crimper this came with CK toolkit

Did they come with a packet of sticky plasters for when you get ya hand caught in them botttom bits.

:D they should do, some nice blisters I have had of them there bottom bits :) usually followed by the cursing noise and blue coloured language afterwards :D

Reply to Wire strippers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock