Discuss Yeeehaaaw in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Had to rewire some outside lights in a house. Was told that recently installed car charging point keeps tripping out an MCB. Find this absolute monstrosity.

This photo shows a garage board which is fed off the main fuse board on a 6mm twin 50A mcb. Yay. If you look at the main switch, you'll see a 16mm core on the supply side, which the car charging point firm tapped off and sent the feed to the smaller enclosure which is to the left of the picture.

Out of shot, there is a 8 way garden lighting DB, which is fed from this garage board on the 32A breaker.

Basically, all of this is powered by a 6mm cable. Which the most recent addition was a 40A supply for a car charging point. Installed when surely they knew the circuit was at its limit.

I am recently qualified and unearthed all of this. Any suggestions? Thinking a 16mm SWA from mains supply isolated, to feed these two boards?

Attachments

• 1470387154047471339246.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 242
that is a complete abortion. id rip the lot out and fit a new, bigger DB. start again from scratch.

It is rough a bit.
Do they use the charger ,or more likely ,was it a freebie?

I have seen one installed with SY , no glands on braid , and cut through straight into the side of CU . No support to charger . Lovely job.

How would you both suggest rectifying this? Builder is hassling saying he wants stuff finished today. I'm saying it's not possible. At all.

I personally don't want to touch it.

If they will not allow you the time to do anything with it then there is nothing you can do.

Tel has outlined the ideal solution, but I have the feeling it is out of your hands.
I would like to bet that this has been sprung on you at the last minute , and it has been tripping for ages . It is a typical knee jerk.

tell him that that DB does not comply , it needs ripping out before you'll put your name to the job. compare working with that to building a house on cinder block foundations instead of concrete.

Just unearthed the mains aswell. 2 sets of tails. One of them is left in a suspended ceiling taped up.

Look how they're jointed. Yay!

Attachments

• 1470390370372-977714546.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 229
you can polish a turd, but you can't make a banana from a turd, polished or not. @OP. do it right or walk away and let some silly arse cowboy take the fall

have to wait till we're properly out of the eurine. then bent bananas are no longer racially persecuted.

its almost as if they have tried to use every brand of breaker possible! Gut it and put a whole new distribution setup in. Im sure it takes more effort to rough it in like that!!!

Its a wind up right? Your profile says your an Electrician - what do you reckon?? Like the guys have said, tell the cheap-skating builder idiot it all needs ripping out or its keys, ignition, start engines, bye.............

I'm a bit confused.

Sorry, I can't see a 50A MCB. Which one is it?

Again, is there a 40A MCB, or is the charging point on the 32A?

Main fuse board is upstairs in the house. There is a 50A mcb feeding the garage board (pictured) in a 6mm cable.

The guys who installed the car charging point just stuck 16mm twin in the supply side of the garage board man switch to feed the small 2 way board on the left of the pic. (40A supply for car charging point)

The 32A breaker is feeding ANOTHER board adjacent (not pictured) which is an 8 way full of 6 amp lighting circuits for the garden. Absolute crazy install. Sorry if I've explained it awkwardly.

Its a wind up right? Your profile says your an Electrician - what do you reckon?? Like the guys have said, tell the cheap-skating builder idiot it all needs ripping out or its keys, ignition, start engines, bye.............

Ha. No wind up. Yeah, pretty much just come out my time so excuse me for not diving in thinking I've been on the tools for all of my adult life.

Leaving the job is exactly what I did. I'm not touching it unless it was a rip out and start again.

Ha. No wind up. Yeah, pretty much just come out my time so excuse me for not diving in thinking I've been on the tools for all of my adult life.

Leaving the job is exactly what I did. I'm not touching it unless it was a rip out and start again.
Excellent. When you have a few more miles on the clock you will realise that most builders are a bunch of tight a**e k***s who just want to cheapest price going and are not really bothered about anything else. Sorry to any builders watching, just my impression gained over the years.........

Excellent. When you have a few more miles on the clock you will realise that most builders are a bunch of tight a**e k***s who just want to cheapest price going and are not really bothered about anything else. Sorry to any builders watching, just my impression gained over the years.........

You are not alone . Your views apply to a good percentage of them.

Reply to Yeeehaaaw in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net