Discuss 1996 Ford explorer not starting in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reggie11

DIY
Reaction score
Let me begin by saying by no means am i a car expert so please be patient with me. But i have a Ford 1995 explorer 4WD. The other day I parked and it would not start again. No weird engine noises or other noises of any sort. I attempted to turn the car on again and it would not start, only beeping from the door being open and the warning lights on the dash that seem typical of when i turn the key before the car starts. I kept trying to turn the key and nothing. So on to my maintenance path. I replaced the ignition switch and lock cylinder, that did not fix the issue. I got the starter tested and put it back in and tried starting it again, did not fix the issue. I taped on the solenoid a few times and that did not help. After a bunch of messing around, these are my findings. 1) when i remove the fuse to the warning lights from the inside fuse panel to the side of the dash, the warning lights go away. 2) after awhile, something happens (not sure what) but all of a sudden when i turn the key, the beeping in the car goes away but the dash lights remain on. 3) when i press on the brake and turn the key, the beeping turns off but then clicking from the WAC diode relay and the ABS main relay start and the clicking speeds up expontentially until it stops. 4) when the battery is disconnected but the positive is connected, and i go to put the negative on, the second the battery cable touches the post, clicking from those two same relays occurs. Im at a complete loss but the car does not start and i would rather not get it towed. Also worth mentioning. Something is draining the battery quick because the battery can drain within 2 hours. Not sure if thats from the dash lights being on and the beeping from the door ajar. Additionally, one time i pressed on the brake and i heard a click and a slight bur from what i woukd assume was the back of the car however i was not sure. Then it stopped. Anything would help, thank you

I would get your battery checked first, and replaced if necessary. Use a good quality brand. If it has been completely flattened several times then it will likely be beyond repair.

Then you can check the charging voltage and also whether their is any excessive drain.

Just realised I put 'their' instead of 'there'. Doh. Too late to edit it.

As at @DPG . start by proving the battery is good, then check all your earthing from the battery to all the earth connections on the chassis and engine . Pay particular attention to the condition to any corded chassis parts where the the earth is connected to. The chassis may not be carrying the return to the battery
Also do the same with the connections from the positive post to the starter/solenoid and fuse box connections.
It seems like a poor , limited earth or positive connection.

Reply to 1996 Ford explorer not starting in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net