Discuss 2391-52, what to expect in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, first post so go easy!
This is for people who are looking for more info on the course and exams and is from my experience of doing the course.

I was enrolled into the 2391-52 course by my company a couple of months ago and passed all exams this week. When I was told by my company I was enrolled onto the course it seemed like a daunting experience as I’ve always been told that it is very difficult. I did try to find some information about what to expect etc but I came across a lot of old information and sometimes not the full information I was looking for to put my mind at ease.

The first thing I did was get myself the latest regs book, GN3 (which is the main literature used) and the on site guide. I then went through the books and labelled/highlighted the parts I thought were relevant as much as I could before the course began. This did help me throughout the course and also refreshed my memory. I also watched some YouTube videos from sparky ninja and other content creators which helped me with some of the terminology that c&g prefer.
The course was over 4 days where the majority of time was spent going through GN3 and cross referencing the regs and on site guide. The course felt like it was geared to make sure you pass the online exam as there were a couple of mock tests given to complete as homework. I would also recommend purchasing the IET 2391 exam preparation book which has mock papers in as well, these came in handy as some of the questions came up in the exam!

The issue myself and a few others on the course was the written part of the exam. It looked like a test paper that had been made by the training centre themselves and we were given no guidance on the course on what sort of questions to expect and how to answer them. It was 4 questions that had been separated into 18 parts. Unfortunately I failed on 3 parts so had to go back and resit those parts only. But the questions were around the differences between IV and periodic inspections, safe isolation procedures, coding and regs to back the codes up and things related to IP codes. I would like to know if anyone else had different papers for the written exams.

The practical assessment was the part I was looking for the most information but couldn’t seem to find anything. On the day I arrived and the assessor went through what was expected and gave me some literature on the scenario to which the rig would need to be tested.
There was a 3 phase board supplying a ring main, a FCU, a DOL with a commando socket and supplying a single phase board. The single phase board supplied a radial socket circuit and a 1 way and 2 way lighting circuit. The IV was to be carried out on the FCU and the DOL circuits and the periodic inspection for the others. Personally I found it easier carrying out all dead tests on the IV circuits and writing results down on a blank sheet of paper and then the same for the EICR circuits but this was personal preference.
I was given time to carry out all tests and find faults on the rig. REMEMBER should you find a fault on any of the IV circuits you must inform the assessor. If you find any on the EICR then also inform the assessor but you do not need to carry out any more tests on that circuit.
You’re then given time to fill out the relevant certification. Make sure you fill in the correct results on the correct certificate.

I was then shown pictures of situations which needed coding. The pictures were not the best quality but the issues were quite obvious, for example I had a socket in a bathroom which was in zone 2. You’re asked to code these pictures and give an example of what could happen, eg. Exposed live parts can lead to electric shock.

After this I was informed that I had passed immediately so there was no waiting around for the result.

I would highly recommend putting in some early revision should you be doing this course, even if you test every day there are some bad habits which can be picked up that the assessors will fail you for!

All the best
J

Good advice...get familiar with the course as the books, videos are out there...
Had to build a board with sockets, lighting to practice at home....even did live testing where I live

Reply to 2391-52, what to expect in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net