Discuss 2391 Helpful information in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mdavismccoy

Hi, first time on this forum. I took the December 07 exam, passed, the pass rate is 33%. I have tried a search on the forum for the Chief Examiners report, nothing here. Try this link out it will take you to the city and guilds site where the feed back reports are for the pevious exams. It gives feed back on where people go wrong, and it can help. Also check Brian Scadden books on inspection and testing.

http://www.cityandguilds.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-0AC0478C-B387CCF2/cgonline/hs.xsl/17381.html

ive got my exam on thursday next week and dreading it. i think city and guilds have the wrong idea about who is sitting these exams. they think everybody is top of the range testers who already know everything about testing and this is exam is just a walk in the park for them, but in reality its people who havent been been sparking to long and want to use it as a quailfication to help themselves up the ladder. im doing it to help me in the business im setting up and although im ok at testing ( not over great but can get by ) i hope to pass and then learn more as i go along. if i was brilliant at testing as city and guilds want then i wouldnt need to do the bloody test.

by the way dreading the exam. ive thought about quitting the course more than once and thinks its the worst 340 quid ive ever spent. all this about the correct terminolgy and failing people for not using it is my arse. my college teacher is going to move away from city and guilds as he thinks its run by dinosaws who still think they are the only awarding body there is.

Here is a web site where you can download, City and Guilds 2391 sample papers and solutions

This website deals with the implications of Part P - Electrical Safety.

Good luck with your exam. Don't panic when you see the paper, use the law of diminishing returns, then go mark hunting.

Of all the past papers I went through, each question in the second part is a separate entity. The Dec 07 paper, people panicked when they saw the word caravan park, that was only part of one question.

There was a question on a ring mains, we covered the testing sequence at college thats all, Brian Scadden books goes in to more detail, which is what I read and understood.

The Earth Loop Diagram, once you know the loop diagram it is adaptable too all systems.

The tutor mentioned the Insulation Resistance in Parrallel always comes up, which it did.

Make sure you read the questions properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive got my exam on thursday next week and dreading it. i think city and guilds have the wrong idea about who is sitting these exams. they think everybody is top of the range testers who already know everything about testing and this is exam is just a walk in the park for them, but in reality its people who havent been been sparking to long and want to use it as a quailfication to help themselves up the ladder. im doing it to help me in the business im setting up and although im ok at testing ( not over great but can get by ) i hope to pass and then learn more as i go along. if i was brilliant at testing as city and guilds want then i wouldnt need to do the bloody test.

by the way dreading the exam. ive thought about quitting the course more than once and thinks its the worst 340 quid ive ever spent. all this about the correct terminolgy and failing people for not using it is my arse. my college teacher is going to move away from city and guilds as he thinks its run by dinosaws who still think they are the only awarding body there is.

Sorry Alex, but i think you are wrong.

2391 is designed for EXPERIENCED electricians (which includes experience at inspection and testing). Its not meant to be a walk in the park!

Look, when you pass this, you would be qualified to walk into a large factory, or hotel, or office complex, and using your skills at both inspecting and testing, make a decision on the condition and safety of the electrical installation. And that decision will stand. NO-ONE has the authority to question that decision.

And because of the importance of that decision, they aint gonna hand out the qual with a box of cornflakes!

Ok, the exam is often flawed, but anyone with a good, indepth understanding of inspection and testing should not find it too taxing - and that's why its got a pass rate hovering around 40 percent - too many people sit it hoping they will 'get through' and 'learn it afterwards'.
You cant use the qual to 'help you up the ladder', you should be near the top rung when you sit it!!!!

You wanna join a club that i am a member of? You pay the entry fee same as me - and that entry fee is a bl@#*dy hard slog through this qual!!!;)

To be honest, this is why they have introduced the 2392, I'ts meant for people who want a test and inspect qual, but are not experienced enough for the 2391 yet.

Best of luck my friend:)

cheers shakey excellent post which i agree with. id better get of this and stick my head in the book again.:(

Hello People Can Anyone Tell Me What Course I Should Be Taking If I Want To Train To Be An Electrician From The Bottom Of The Ladder, Theres 2 Courses "electrical Installation Nvq" And "electrotechnical Technology C&g" Whats The Difference?

the 239 is hard work but testing is serious business what shakey says is correct ,.if you sign off on a certificate then the place burns down or some one is injured your name is on there
the three things that helped me pass was a good college ,studying past exam papers,and experience
stick at it
Alex ,don,t let your tutors disallusionment get to you

Reply to 2391 Helpful information in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock