Discuss 2391 question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

15. An earth electrode resistance test has been carried out, and the following results were obtained: 128Ohms, 120Ohms and 134Ohms. Determine the value of RA to be recorded on the certificate. Show all calculations.

il get by with a little help, ty

id say add them together and divide by 3 to get awnser... i dont think it wants you to go into the effectiveness of the values given..help help i think

The value of Ra is the mean or average of the of the three readings.
So yes, add the three readings together, and divide by three.

just there is more than 5% on some of them and we were taught about deviation and a longer sum... but im sure they just looking for the average ty

10 State the effect each of the following would have on the measured insulation resistance of a conductor.

a) decrease in length increase

b) decrease in CSA none

c) decrease in temperature none

Last edited:
Why do you believe that a decrease in conductor length will result in a decrease in insulation resistance?
What do you believe causes an increase or decrease in insulation resistance?

Last edited by a moderator:
19 A 200mA general purpose RCD to BSEN 61008 is to be tested to ensure it operates within specification. State the

a) test instrument to be used rcd tester

b) the maximum test current to be applied during the test 500mA

c) the maximum acceptable tripping time during the test in b) above 40ms min 150 max

Last edited:
things like length of circuits , testing more than 1 ciruit at a time
Why do you believe that a decrease in conductor length will result in a decrease in insulation resistance?
What do you believe causes an increase or decrease in insulation resistance?

RCD question

b) 200mA
c) 300ms

only 30mA (or less) RCDs used for additional protection are tested @ 5X I delta n

general purpose RCD to BSEN 61008 max = 300ms

general purpose others max = 200ms

Last edited:
things like length of circuits , testing more than 1 ciruit at a time

Tip: read the question, it mentions a conductor, not a circuit

as the length is less, you will have less leakage so a Higher IR reading

Last edited:
As such all of the answers should be 'increase'

are you sure spin ?, I did mine in December, and Iam almost sure we were told the Csa had no effect on an IR test.

I will stand to be corrected, and bow to superior knowledge

I think you will have to decide yourselves.
Consider why insulation resistance would decrease, then apply it to the various scenarios in the question.

RCD question

b) 200mA
c) 300ms

only 30mA (or less) RCDs used for additional protection are tested @ 5X I delta n

Spark, where did you get this information from regarding testing at 5X ?
And the 300ms for BSEN61008, all others at 200ms ?

Hi Ringer,

This is in the OSG, but excludes S types and the types which are 30mA or less which trip in the 40ms required @ 5 X I delta n for additional protection.

Spark, where did you get this information from regarding testing at 5X
This is also in the OSG, but I got the info. from elsewhere, which escapes me at the minute.

red OSG (cos I haven't got the green one yet) pages 91 and 92 sections 11.2, 11.3, 11.4 and 11.5

Reply to 2391 question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock