Discuss 2nd fix charges in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

AJ16

-
DIY
Reaction score
My electrician has given me a steep bill for second fix. It's a 2
storey extension with garden room on the g/floor + small utility room
and shower room, then 2 beds upstairs + landing. In all 16 double sockets, 3 single sockets, 1 fused outlet, 2 wall fans, 16 12v downlights, 9x 240v downlights, 4x 1 gang l/switch, 3 pull lsw, 7x 2 gang lsw, 2x 3 gang lsw. also fitting a 12way split load board and connecting the circuits + swapping the old consumer unit for a new 10 way s/load board ( this job took 2 hrs say 3 at the outside)

The first fix he did for 35hrs @ £32ph- electrician + 'apprentice' son.
The second fix he wants £1600 for £37hrs @ £25- (him only son now no
longer around) nothing out of the ordinary just connecting up to the tails that he left before the plasterer moved in. All the wall boxes had been cleared of plaster for him, all downlight holes cut, and all wires dangling out of the right holes/boxes.

Leaving aside the materials the labour hours seem high.
Does this sound right or does 2nd fix normally take as long as 1st fix??
also is is normal to charge for 8 hours and then take a lunch break out of that?

Hmmm seems abit suspect it shouldnt take a full week to second fix a 2 storey extension, i could rewire a 2 up2 down on my own in a week.

But i cant really critise because i havent seen the job, but from what youve told me id say that should take about 2 good days at the most!.

Cheers Mark, I have amended the post slightly to make it clear that 2nd fix is 37hrs @ £25 ie £925.
(there were several replies yesterday but they are no longer there just yours- strange)

swapping the old consumer unit for a new 10 way s/load board

As he's swapped the old cu for a new one, he hasn't spent time sorting out any existing faults on circuits has he?

As MTS say's not seeing or knowing the job it's difficult to pull somebody elses quote/charges & time taken to do the 2nd fix apart. That said 37 hrs does seem a tad on the long side, unless he's had faults to rectify due to cu change.
Personnaly I only ever give a total costing that includes first & second fixes, then if it's a large job I break it into stage payments.

no the swap of the board was fairly strightforward, I think he was just a bit slow.

no the swap of the board was fairly strightforward, I think he was just a bit slow.

i know some electricians that are really slow :eek: milking a job and pricing for that.

i'd rather crack the job off and move onto the next one.

me and my mate are very quick though cos we work on price. we dont cut any corners though and pride ourselves on the fact that when we leave a property everything is done and there is no snagging unlike some of our rewire teams that leave quite a bit for the snagging teams.

If he's changed the board, at some point he will have had to test all the circuits etc - which can take a while depending on problems discovered. When has this been charged for? This isn't included in '2nd fix' is it? That would certainly bump up the hours!

If he's changed the board, at some point he will have had to test all the circuits etc - which can take a while depending on problems discovered. When has this been charged for? This isn't included in '2nd fix' is it? That would certainly bump up the hours!

where does it mention in this thread about faults or problems he found:confused: he proberley just changed the board and everything was ok. last year i was doing up grades on council houses and part of that was board changes and out of 200 houses i can only remember 1 fault which was a neutral fault on a socket next to the mains.

it sounds to me he is just slow and the house as a steady number for the week where he could milk a few quid from.:mad:

There may have been no problems, but there is no such thing as 'just' changing the board - he would still have had to test the entire installation which takes time - if being done properly!

There may have been no problems, but there is no such thing as 'just' changing the board - he would still have had to test the entire installation which takes time - if being done properly!

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

it wouldnt take all day to do a full electrical installation test. A mains swop plus 2nd fixing is not a full weeks work.

Hi AJ16, did the chap give you a certificate for the work carried out, didn't see a mention of it in the posts.
Regards,
MacSparky:)

Reply to 2nd fix charges in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock