Discuss 3 sets of wires for a lightswitch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello, new member here!

I have attempted to replace a lightswitch in my house. The single switch controlled my kitchen lights.

I isolated it and removed the old lightswitch, i undid the screws and pulled the wires out. I should have taken a photo of the configuration and will next time. There were more than one wire in the same part of the old switch.

I was then left with: 3 blue wires and 3 brown wires. Three green and yellow wires are screwed in at the back.

I can't figure out how or where to put these 6 wires to get either the old or new switch working. Each attempt has shorted out so I've given up. I've left the ground floor lights off at the box as I currently have wires sticking out.

Photos attached. Pic 1 is wires. Pic 2 is old switch. Pic 3 is new switch

Hopefully someone can advise me?

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 3 sets of wires for a lightswitch 20220206_181233 - EletriciansForums.net
    20220206_181233.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 3 sets of wires for a lightswitch 20220206_191631 - EletriciansForums.net
    20220206_191631.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 3 sets of wires for a lightswitch 20220206_192156 - EletriciansForums.net
    20220206_192156.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 21
As above.

The blues would have been all together in the terminal marked “loop” on the old switch…. Which isn’t a functioning part of the switch and is only there as a connection point.

Any type of connector, doesn’t need to be a WAGO…

And you do need an earth link between the back box and the new face plate.

Reply to 3 sets of wires for a lightswitch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock