Discuss 30mm channeling chisel? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Colin33

-
Arms
Reaction score
I've just had to return an Armeg 30mm channeling chisel because it snapped after 5 minutes use. The last one I had didn't fair well either, and at £40 + I'd expect them to last! Does anyone know of any other manufacturer of these, don't really want another Armeg because they are not the quality they used to be...

I've just had to return an Armeg 30mm channeling chisel because it snapped after 5 minutes use. The last one I had didn't fair well either, and at £40 + I'd expect them to last! Does anyone know of any other manufacturer of these, don't really want another Armeg because they are not the quality they used to be...
Mine just snapped yesterday. And the previous one snapped about a year ago. Must be a weakness.
I've looked but not found an equivalent...

Mine also snapped yesterday! To be fair, the SDS drill and the chisel shaft were getting somewhat hot, I try not to use these chisels for too long a time in one go (I seem to break at least one a year).
Reluctant to pay £40-odd, I ordered this yesterday: 30mm SDS Plus Channelling Chisel Electrical Wires & Cables: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008JBHKAU/ref=pe_27063361_485629781_TE_item but no idea how it will compare.
Just read the reviews:

The worst Tool and the worst delivery
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 18 March 2014
Moorcut Direct Ltd delivered this tool two days late which had serious repercussions on my business and resulted in time penalties, I was forced to go out and buy the same tool by different manufacturer which is still going months later after very heavy usage. unfortunately the tool bought from Moorcut Direct Ltd when it eventually arrived was going to resold to my mate as I didn't need it, it lasted exactly 30 minutes as the shaft broke in the SDS chuck

Just read the reviews:

Moorcut Direct Ltd delivered this tool two days late which had serious repercussions on my business and resulted in time penalties, I was forced to go out and buy the same tool by different manufacturer which is still going months later after very heavy usage. unfortunately the tool bought from Moorcut Direct Ltd when it eventually arrived was going to resold to my mate as I didn't need it, it lasted exactly 30 minutes as the shaft broke in the SDS chuck

An entirely believable review and definitely not just an angry customer with high expectations ?

Just read the reviews:

Not worried about the delivery time, but hoping to get more than 30 mins out of it! I'll post an update after I've used it a bit, hopefully later rather than sooner!

I've got several channelling tools, e.g. the smaller Armeg one to get behind skirting boards (also expensive) but I find a cheap U-shaped / gouge one (under £10 when last bought) seems to last the longest. All the others regularly snap off at the neck.

got a set from aldi a few years ago.1/2", 1",and 1"1/2 £7.99. used and abused. no breakges.

Usually De-Walt and Hilti (Found the DW ones to be surprising good with longevity).
Tried Makita but it didnt last too long (wear)!

Just read the reviews:

Just for fun I got one of these Moorcut ones.
I'll let you all know when it breaks ☠️

My Moorcut one arrived today (had expected it dispatched Friday, wasn't shipped till Monday, but not too concerned).
It has a shallower bend (maybe 20 degrees) compared to my broken Armeg one (which is maybe 40 degrees).
Might have an excuse to use it this week, not sure yet.

Reply to 30mm channeling chisel? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net