Discuss 380v Machine in the UK in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there, I have purchased a machine from Europe. It is 380v. Our usual electrician is unsure how to install and whether we need a transformer. Can anyone help?

If we do need a transformer can someone please point me in the right direction as, so far, layman's googling has failed me.

Thank you in advance.

Hi there, I have purchased a machine from Europe. It is 380v. Our usual electrician is unsure how to install and whether we need a transformer. Can anyone help?

If we do need a transformer can someone please point me in the right direction as, so far, layman's googling has failed me.

Thank you in advance.
What are the Voltage ranges stated on the data plate on the Motor?

Check machine documents, many older machines have different tapping on transformers ready to change for different voltages.

Okay thanks Midwest I'll do it on Monday

Out of interest what are we looking for when we do that? Is it to do with star wiring or something?

Not into electric motors, others here more intelligent than me. Pic of the connections of the wiring panel for this thing. What is it exactly?

380V motors have often been used directly on 400V UK mains, although can run slightly hot at the high end of the tolerance band due to increased iron loss, and approaching magnetic saturation. We have a few that have been in use for decades on our workshop supply which sits around the 410V mark. However, the correct method is indeed to use a step-down autotransformer and the one James links would give you the option for true 400V input or traditional 415V which is still what a lot of substations provide, although 'rebranded' as 400V for harmonisation purposes. That transformer is a slightly undersize though, as the motor input is 12.4kVA (18.8A at 380V) for a 12.5 PS (metric horsepower) output.

380V motors have often been used directly on 400V UK mains, although can run slightly hot at the high end of the tolerance band due to increased iron loss, and approaching magnetic saturation. We have a few that have been in use for decades on our workshop supply which sits around the 410V mark. However, the correct method is indeed to use a step-down autotransformer and the one James links would give you the option for true 400V input or traditional 415V which is still what a lot of substations provide, although 'rebranded' as 400V for harmonisation purposes. That transformer is a slightly undersize though, as the motor input is 12.4kVA (18.8A at 380V) for a 12.5 PS (metric horsepower) output.

I agree with everything above.
P.s. in the spec sheet (1st link ) it gives the part number for the 30kva version too.

My thoughts on this were that, often especially with older machines the motors were over specified and almost never use the full load they are rated too.

Depending on the amount of load on the machine and the duty cycle you may find the 10kva ok but if you want to be certain then go for 30kva version.

Thank you all for your replies.

I managed to get in touch with the manufacturer and they have advised that it is fine to run on 400v without a transformer. We've hooked it up and all works fine, no sign of overheating.

Our electrician measured our voltage at 415v though, but given how expensive it will be to buy a transformer I think it'll be cheaper to replace the motor if and when it dies on us

Reply to 380v Machine in the UK in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net