USA 6/4 wire

Discuss 6/4 wire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

TonyUSA

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a DIY person and just did a 6-3 220V in Tube conduit for car charger. Now I have to do for a friend but not sure about the wire.

I will run from the 50 amp 220V breaker and will use 6/4 600-Volt CU Black Flexible Portable Power SOOW Cord.

I will run in the garage about 30 feet and at the other end will be 14-50 Nema. From my understanding that I don't need to run this wire in the conduit, Am I right?

Thank you,
Tony

Hello,

I am a DIY person and just did a 6-3 220V in Tube conduit for car charger. Now I have to do for a friend but not sure about the wire.

I will run from the 50 amp 220V breaker and will use 6/4 600-Volt CU Black Flexible Portable Power SOOW Cord.

I will run in the garage about 30 feet and at the other end will be 14-50 Nema. From my understanding that I don't need to run this wire in the conduit, Am I right?

Thank you,
Tony
Do you have to pull that kind cable in pipe. If you run it where it is not subject to physical damage and #8 is good for 55 amps
[automerge]1567553242[/automerge]
Do you have to pull that kind cable in pipe. If you run it where it is not subject to physical damage and #8 is good for 55 amps
you don’t have to run conduit, but if you do go by Home Depot and get 4-#8 and 1-#10 singles if you want to run pipe.

You are quite welcome if you have any more problems let us know and good luck
Thank you, sir.

I didn't know that I can drill the hole from the breaker box to the drywall like in this youtube (around 3:17).

Is that the right way to do? What I did on mine just punched out the hole on breaker box and drilled the drywall.

Thank you,

Thank you, sir.

I didn't know that I can drill the hole from the breaker box to the drywall like in this youtube (around 3:17).

Is that the right way to do? What I did on mine just punched out the hole on breaker box and drilled the drywall.

Thank you,
Just do it the way you’ve always have you might not even have that cutter

Just got other one done today. It is a 6/3 wires. No neutral wire needed for this EV charger. Two hots, 240V, 50 amps breaker, grounded on electrical box. Ground wire in white, HD ran out of 6 gauge wire in green so I used white. Please advise if I need any improvement on anything.
Extra clamp in the electrical box to prevent from pulling. But I think I will take it out b/c I don't thing it will be any pulling.
Second pic is showing on top of breaker box with a punched hole with 1 3/4" plastic snap-in bushing.

6/4 wire IMG_3255 - EletriciansForums.net

6/4 wire IMG_3246 - EletriciansForums.net

6/4 wire IMG_3252 - EletriciansForums.net

Just got other one done today. It is a 6/3 wires. No neutral wire needed for this EV charger. Two hots, 240V, 50 amps breaker, grounded on electrical box. Ground wire in white, HD ran out of 6 gauge wire in green so I used white. Please advise if I need any improvement on anything.
Extra clamp in the electrical box to prevent from pulling. But I think I will take it out b/c I don't thing it will be any pulling.
Second pic is showing on top of breaker box with a punched hole with 1 3/4" plastic snap-in bushing.

View attachment 51962

View attachment 51963

View attachment 51964
Tony do me a favor and take that connector out of that 4 inch square box
[automerge]1567944768[/automerge]
Tony also tape up that white wire with black tape if you don’t it is a code violation, otherwise good job and I’m proud of you

Last edited:
[automerge]1567944768[/automerge]

Tony also tape up that white wire with black tape if you don’t it is a code violation, otherwise good job and I’m proud of you
Thank you. I will do it today and will post more pictures. May I ask, what is the meaning of white wire with black tape in code?

Thank you. I will do it today and will post more pictures. May I ask, what is the meaning of white wire with black tape in code?
If you are using a white wire for any thing but the neutral it’s needs identification so people don’t think it’s a neutral when it’s actually got power on it

I hate to tell you this but you said that the charger didn’t need a neutral so to stay in compliance with the NEC it needs to be taped green other than that good job

over here. all those bare earth/ground conductors would need to be sleeved (green/yellow).

over here. all those bare earth/ground conductors would need to be sleeved (green/yellow).
Tel I agree with that but over here all of the shrink tubing if that’s the type but I don’t even know if we can buy them colors. We have to pull the right colors up to # 8 then we can just phase tape them

Reply to 6/4 wire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock