Discuss 6 cables in a backbox? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 112675

Hello Everyone

Will be wanting a grid switch with 4xdp switches to control 4 spurs with a single socket on each. Ring main in and out plus 4 spurs of the switches equals 6 2.5mm cables. I've got a 4 module mk grid backbox - about 45mm depth I think.

Is it possible? I'm thinking the 4 spurs might just enter the bottom of the box and go straight into their respective switches but it might be hard to get all 6 earths terminated?

Beginning of the summer tested ten houses for a housing association on a five year old estate. Eight out of the ten had open continuity faults on at least one conductor on the kitchen ring final circuit. Back to do remedials, first house found in 30 odd minutes at the four gang control grid. All bar one of the others at the same point. Half a day I had resolved all eight. Bad design? or the whole MK grid unit totally inadequate for a ring final using 2.5 solid conductors. Admittedly the links could have been stranded 2.5 but nevertheless.

The cpcs are not the problem I did as suggested in #6 by @Strima just chopped the lot and put in a Wago with a link to the grid. The whole lot were so badly connected.

Beginning of the summer tested ten houses for a housing association on a five year old estate. Eight out of the ten had open continuity faults on at least one conductor on the kitchen ring final circuit. Back to do remedials, first house found in 30 odd minutes at the four gang control grid. All bar one of the others at the same point. Half a day I had resolved all eight. Bad design? or the whole MK grid unit totally inadequate for a ring final using 2.5 solid conductors. Admittedly the links could have been stranded 2.5 but nevertheless.

I'm inclined to agree! I'm probably being naive, but wouldn't the customer have noticed if any of the conductors (apart from earth) was open ? I mean their fridge wouldn't be working....

Also, are you giving me a hint that using 2.5 stranded for the links between each switch might make it slightly easier?

I'm inclined to agree! I'm probably being naive, but wouldn't the customer have noticed if any of the conductors (apart from earth) was open ? I mean their fridge wouldn't be working....

Also, are you giving me a hint that using 2.5 stranded for the links between each switch might make it slightly easier?

A discontinuous ring connection at one terminal would not mean any power loss to any one grid switch.

Good point, most were cpc issues and a disconnected line or neutral will still allow the others to function as the one conductor was still in place.
Stranded conductors allow that bit more flexibility but I find with the MK grid terminals are far too shallow especially for solid 2.5. I expected they just popped out when the grid was screwed back.

I tend to just link to the grid but seeing as you have the eight way option no reason not to do both, the grid is the important one as it could be floating.

Stranded conductors allow that bit more flexibility but I find with the MK grid terminals are far too shallow especially for solid 2.5. I expected they just popped out when the grid was screwed back.

DIYers get a bad press and many don't like all the regulation but my gosh. Surely whoever did that in a housing association must have been a professional electrician that should have had and used a multifunction tester (as I have). In fact I think you could diagnose that fault with a simple multimeter.

MAny thanks once again for all the advice and great tips.

Reply to 6 cables in a backbox? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock