Discuss 6381Y PVC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I was replying to above posts Dave about power suppliers only accepting 7 strand tails as in meter tails and not swa.
To my knowledge they don’t particularly care either way.

The documents I've read from UKPN, EDF and a couple of others all specify that flexible cables including tri rated are not permitted for connection to their equipment.

I can see that a DNO might not accept either SWA or tri-rated as neither are double insulated or insulated and sheathed at the meter entry - and thus they'd be within their rights to refuse to connect an installation not to BS7671.
I've had a search for ENWL documents, and found their Electricity Specification 212 which looks like their specifications for connections of the size we're discussing. Nowhere does it specify any restrictions on the load side connections, only specifying "stranded" cables. It does state that connections from the cutout to a single phase meter are normally to be by way of a block rather than cables.
A search for ENWL and 6181Y, 6381Y, or tri-rated doesn't come up with anything for me. I guess it soon will when the search engines borg this thread :rolleyes:

EDIT: I was talking to someone in ENWL only recently and the topic of stranded tails came up. Turns out they've been using them themselves for some large jobs, and annoyingly had to get ferrules for a small number of connections with screw rather than box clamp connections - so it sounds like they put stranded cables directly into box terminals with no ferrule.

EDIT: I was talking to someone in ENWL only recently and the topic of stranded tails came up. Turns out they've been using them themselves for some large jobs, and annoyingly had to get ferrules for a small number of connections with screw rather than box clamp connections - so it sounds like they put stranded cables directly into box terminals with no ferrule.
No ferrules is BTs preferred option when using box terminals.

Can I bump this thread please?
The last batch of tails I ordered from a wholesaler turned out not to be grey sheathed BS6181Y 7 strand I ordered, but BS6004 BS6181Y BASEC 19 core. This is “flextail” from some suppliers.
-But do we really see it as "fine wire" re 526.9 and ferrules? It's robust stuff, 1.29mm^2 per strand. A compromise maybe to avoid problems with box terminals, perhaps only ferrule the meter/henley etc end? (And I don't have a bootlace ferrule tool that big yet!).

Reply to 6381Y PVC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock