Discuss A blast from the past, for some maybe in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Do any members remember Air-fix kits? I was an avid builder when I was small, and come bonfire nigh, me and my mates would gather all our old models that we no longer cherished, Boats, Planes etc, take the boats down the cut, stick a banger in somewhere, and pretend we were sinking the Bismark or some other Hun Battleship, good fun in those days.

Was making a couple of kits with my kids last Christmas. Didn't prove to be a long lived distraction though what with xboxes and mobile phones nowadays.

All us big kids used to do Airfix models when we were little kids. Remember having a bit of a spillage/overdose with with the glue, and it melted the plastic. Lots of paints sometimes hid the damage. And the flippin transfers used to come off.

My old man was in the RAF during WW2 helped me build a plastic Lanc, smashing job we made of it, cherished it till the glue lost it's cohesion.

My old man was in the RAF during WW2 helped me build a plastic Lanc, smashing job we made of it, cherished it till the glue lost it's cohesion.
Had an uncle in the RAF during WWII. My departed auntie had a boyfriend who was a tail gunner, who didn't survive WWII. Going back to my Grandparents, my Great Uncle died in Egypt WWI. Not dismissing recent conflicts, I do think we, now, don't realise what an impact those two wars had on lives & communities.

Used to have a few of them. Loved doing it as a kid.

They usually ended up being only 2 colours after painting as I couldn't afford lots of different ones.

That an meccano, not sure if that's available either.

remember them well. think they were 1/72 scale. as pete's 1st post. usednto hnhg them upnin tree and shoot with.22 air rifle.on that scale .22 waslike a 37mm cannonshell.

Airfix, Revel and the little plastic soldier kits that you used to get, local newsagent stocked them as well as Matchbox cars.

Uncle flew Wellingtons and Mossies other Uncle Oxfords Mother also in the RAF during WWII

There used to be back in the 70s a large shop on the Great West Road near Hounslow dedicated to Airfix and other models, fantastic place.

There used to be back in the 70s a large shop on the Great West Road near Hounslow dedicated to Airfix and other models, fantastic place.
On the way to Hounslow past Isleworth opposite the fire station there used to be a model shop where I bought my first IC RC car.

On the way to Hounslow past Isleworth opposite the fire station there used to be a model shop where I bought my first IC RC car.
Lose my bearings around there now but think it was on the corner of Upper Sutton Lane near the old Master Robert.

Lose my bearings around there now but think it was on the corner of Upper Sutton Lane near the old Master Robert.
It was on the London Road, just checked Google Maps and its all flats in the area now, there is a model shop in Brentford though.

I also used to collect & play with sets of plastic toy soldiers, can’t remember scale or who made them, but they were only 3/4 inch tall. Was about 50 odd in a small box.

My youngest spent many an hour (and his pocket money) in Games Workshop, doing the same.

I remember them well. I used to love making models. Usually of ww2 tanks.
My missus got me an Airfix 1:72 Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress and paints for xmas. I've nearly finished it.

Reply to A blast from the past, for some maybe in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock