Discuss A little Advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

ElectricMick

Hi Guys, I have recently left the military after 30 years and decided to enter the domestic electrical world. Much seems to be confusing out their, not least the qualifications!!! As part of my retraining during the last 18 months I have completed the EAL domestic installers course (paid £260 for Part 'P' which doesn't seem to have done much for me!!) C&G2381 16th Ed, C&G 2391 Insp & Test and the C&G 2377 1 & 2 PAT and I have recently done the 17th Ed upgrade. My plan is to be a self employed domestic electrician but the regulations on what I can and cant do seem to conflict from local authority to local authority. I have done some none notifyable work and a few re-wires and extensions which were sublect to planning permission anyway so had the building inspector out. Any advice on which body to join (Napit/Elecsa). Is it worth it or should I just pay £120 to the LABC every time? Any advice welcomed.

hi mate, if your gonna be doing domestic work all the time then its gonna be more cost efficient to go with a scheme provider, otherwise you could loose 1000's in fees.

who you go with is entirely your choice im off for the nic route and have got my assesment next friday

ps. are you looking at domestic installer or fully approved??

rich

Just looking at domestic installer. Don't want too much on my plate as this is a second career, and while trying to be semi retired I never have the ability to say no when people call wanting work doing, so may have to take on more than I originally planned. Always had an interest in all things electrical so figured after a 30 year military career this was the way to go. Its such a regulation minefield out their its sometimes difficult to know whats the right way to go. I must say that my LABC are very good (and flexible) but I suppose ultimately it will depend on how much notifyable work I do? In light of my other qualifications would it be worth my while doing a 2330 course? Would it make any difference to what work I caqn do?

i was about to ask if you hold any other quals, or what overall experiance you have in the electrical industry? if you look on the various websites you will see that nic, napit, elecsa all have different criteria for getting on there schems

if you can demonstrate good working knowledge etc you may be able to get on the nic scheme with what you have, however they may give you conditional registration which just means that by the time you re-register you will have to do another exam. this will defo be the 17th edition exam.

sorry sorry sorry just seen you got the 17th upgrade!! lol

Last edited:
Thanks, I have been shying away from NIC as elecsa appears on the surface to be cheaper and more approachable. I have spoken to elecsa on the phone but have heard conflicting reports on the assesment. Its alot of money to shell out to fail it!! I have (in theory) the quals, I have a resonable amount of experience and the hundreds of pounds worth of books we are required to have (admittedly very useful books) and an in date calibrated Megger 1553, I have just heard a few horror stories of guys being asked ludicrously difficult questions on assesments. I'm not stupid but still find myself with my head in the OSG on many occasions during a normal day - is that acceptable during an assesment? Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and go for the assesment - I have a full re-wire and a few minors I could use. I would just hate to throw £400 quid away.

Hi Guys, I have recently left the military after 30 years and decided to enter the domestic electrical world. Much seems to be confusing out their, not least the qualifications!!! As part of my retraining during the last 18 months I have completed the EAL domestic installers course (paid £260 for Part 'P' which doesn't seem to have done much for me!!) C&G2381 16th Ed, C&G 2391 Insp & Test and the C&G 2377 1 & 2 PAT and I have recently done the 17th Ed upgrade. My plan is to be a self employed domestic electrician but the regulations on what I can and cant do seem to conflict from local authority to local authority. I have done some none notifyable work and a few re-wires and extensions which were sublect to planning permission anyway so had the building inspector out. Any advice on which body to join (Napit/Elecsa). Is it worth it or should I just pay £120 to the LABC every time? Any advice welcomed.

Hi Mick

there are a few of us on here from the mob, welcome

The regulations on what you can and cant do are laid down in Part P of the Building Regs 2000, and its associated Approved Document.

Therefore the rules apply equally accross ALL LABC's. Some may 'try' and interpret them differently. I have heard of LABC's insisting all work is checked by a NICEIC registered electrician, which of course is twoddle.

It helps to know your stuff, and stand your ground where you need to.

With you quals you probably couldnt join Napit, as their 'domestic installer' scheme is meant for your plumbers etc who only need part scope

And dont let whichever scheme you join tell you cant do PIR's either (without paying an extra fee)

PIR's do not come under Part P and you can do them on generic paperwork outside your scheme

good luck

Thanks or that - I think I will probably have another chat with Elecsa and try to find out who the local assesor is. I don't mind paying the LABC £120 every time as most customers accept this as part of the deal these days (the ones I have come across so far anyway) but I suppose in the long term it makes sense to be able to do it yourself. I sometimes think that by the time I have got my head round all the legistlation it will probably change. Anyway, at least it keeps me on my toes and makes life a little more interesting!!! Time to dive in and get it over with.

thats it matey just gotta get on with it and take a chance. as shakey said there are loads of peeps on here in simlar postions who can help out. shakey who you've just met is an absolubte legend and will see you right.

good luck in whichever path you go down.

rich

thats it matey just gotta get on with it and take a chance. as shakey said there are loads of peeps on here in simlar postions who can help out. shakey who you've just met is an absolubte legend and will see you right.

good luck in whichever path you go down.

rich

aw shucks:eek:

*blushes*

Thanks everyone for the advice - I've never been a ditherer (until now!!!) Perhaps I should have a bit more faith in the training, all the books, the assessors and my own ability to comply with the regs. The electrics I'm happy with, the minefield that surrounds them is the bit I'm having difficulty with. Cheers.

Reply to A little Advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock