Discuss A little help please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

agr8sparky

I'm a licensed master and journeyman electrician from the US versed in the NEC rules and regulations, and am currently working in Iraq. The prominent electrical contractors out here say that all their work has been done according to the British standard. I beg to differ because I'm sure that you British electrical brothers use straps on your conduits, connectors on your conductors entering boxes, and simply take pride in your trade as I do in the US. I do not know much about the British Standard Electrical Code so I was hoping someone could help me out by answering a few questions I have.
1. Do you have to have a license to do electrical work both bidding and installing?
2. Do you have different levels of expertise like we do in the US? ie.. Master, Journeyman, Apprentice
3. Do you have a jobsite ratio like we do in the US? ie..1 journeyman is allowed to supervise 3 apprentice maximum.
4. Do the products you install have to be "listed" by a testing laboratory like CE or UL?
5. If installed products are required to be listed, what listing laboratories are recognized by the British Standard other than CE?
Thank you for reading-I hope some of you professionals can shed some light.

A very brief answer ;

The US system is very regulated, training, qualification, licences, etc;

The UK system is based upon "compotency" of the person, and "fit for purpose" for products. Yes there is testing, inspections, and standards to meet, but if you can prove you are compotent, you can trade.

We now have an accreditation system that kitchen fitters, plumbers etc, can do a two week course, past a test, and then be accreditated to wire, terminate and test kitchens rewires etc.

UK sparks do take pride, do have common sense, and are professional, BUT there are too many people with side cutters, screw drivers, and an understanding, that claim to be electricians. Until the UK start to kick some of them were it hurts, the cowboys will keep going.

Reply to A little help please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock