Discuss ABB Contactor(A9) - Help needed. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

treeman

Hi Guys,
I need some advice, have you any experience with 'ABB (A9) Contactors' ??

I'm currently an apprentice electrician and am out of my depth with a ABB Contactor, and thought it best to ask the professionals.
I have no drawings, diagrams or manufacture's wiring manual, having travelled to Colombia(120v)to my partners .

I'm trying to wire a centrifugal pump with an ABB A9 (30-10) 'Contactor' with a thermal overload relay (TA25).
I have two lines (2 X 120V supply) and a Neutral (conductor).
Am I right by writing, that the supply is wired into T1 and T2 ?

I'm trying to establish the manufacture's conductors connection to the coil (unknown)??, that meaning, I have two wires not terminating to the coil correctly, positions unknown.

I also I have a float switch for the water level in a tank, a neutral and supply/ line, so neutral to neutral and the supply to the thermal overload relay ?? Position of connection unknown.

Many thanks in advance, Cheers Terry

ABB A9 Contactor (IV).jpgABB A9 Contactor (III).jpg

What is your area of experience?
What are your qualifications?

In order to taylor our replies we need to know what background you have... eg- if your DIY then I'd be upfront and tell you to leave alone.

Whats the coil voltage?... where have you sourced the contactor from (does the hz match with local 60hz)
Does the float act as the ON/OFF command?
Is the motor single phase 120v or working off 2phases approx 220v?

Answers to each of these questions can alter replies and at present you been very vague with details.

PS ... You popping over to see your GF so how the hell you getting roped into this in a country that sits under a different regulation and voltage generation system.. id be tiptoeing carefully here!

Last edited:
Hi Darkwood,
Many thanks for your reply.
You have quite a few questions above so I hope to answer them as best I can.
I mentioned, I am an apprentice 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] year, which is very little in qualifications, compared with some of the more mature electricians in the field or on this forum. I've just completed my BS7671 and the City and Guilds 2330. I’m required to complete a portfolio of my tasks/ projects and have an outstanding course to complete at North London College Willsden, by Dec 2015, as for my experience, I’m currently working in the field of electrical installation of cables in the domestic (mostly) and the commercial sector with the odd motor for ventilation/ extraction, so again, a few years experience, which is very little compared with some of the more mature electricians in the field or on this forum.
What’s the voltage ? ‘220 volts’.
Does the Hertz match with the local 60 Hertz ? ‘Yes, 60 Hertz’.
Does the float act as the float act as the ON/ OFF command ? ‘Yes, acting as the ON/ OFF command, acting as a relay, definitely as the ON/ OFF command’. As with some submersible pumps with float switches, the same principles apply, No?
Is the motor single phase 120 volts or working off 2 phases 220 volts ? ‘The latter, 220 volts, however, I believe it’s an Italian manufacturer, Perollo, and this particular model of pump has a low 120 volts option or a high 220 volt option, provided the wiring installation reflects the supply.
Where have I sourced the contactor from ? ‘It has been installed about 3 years prior (give or take), the original installer may have NEVER installed the kit to the manufacturer’s standard, nor was it fitted for purpose, I mean that the contactor was by-passed, by a previous technician, electrician or by some Bruce (No offence intended - Bruce). I have taken a leave of absence from work and the apprenticeship, I have travelled to Colombia with my girlfriend, not my GF (Godfather), the pump is installed at my girlfriend’s father’s restaurant. So, well, I was curious, wanted the opportunity to ask questions and learn more, as when I do return, possibly to another field or to better myself. Believe me, ‘I’m not trying to impress the girlfriend’. Besides I’m waiting for the Contractor for ABB in Bogota to get back to me, it’s been 2 months and 14days, I’m waiting patiently. I don’t rate the service over here.
Darkwood, you mentioned two things, firstly, ‘Answers to each of these questions can alter replies and at present you been very vague with details’. Well, I never intended to project myself as vague, just apprehensive,as to how to ask/ enquire for my personal development too. And the other, ‘Colombia sits under a different regulation and voltage generation system...I’d be tiptoeing carefully here’, Well, you are quite right, any country that is reluctant to install PE (Protective Conductor/ Earth) due to additional costs, ’I’m very anxious to be roped-in, especially somebody else’s work’, and as for different regulations, ‘different – most certainly’, ‘regulations – questionable as to the regulations you are referring/ comparing to’. Here is some additional info I picked from ABB website:
Note: Extended Product Type (from ABB website)
A9-30-10 190V 50Hz / 220V 60Hz
Product ID:
1SBL141001R3610
EAN:
Catalog Description:
A9-30-10 190V 50Hz / 220V 60Hz Contactor
Long Description:
A 9 contactors are mainly used for controlling 3-phase motors and generally for controlling power circuits up to 690 V AC or 220 V DC. The contactors can also be used for many other applications such as isolation, capacitor switching, lighting. The A... series 1-stack 3-pole contactors are of the block type design. - Main poles and auxiliary contact blocks: 3 main poles, 1 built-in auxiliary contact, front and side-mounted add-on auxiliary contact blocks - Control circuit: AC operated with laminated magnet circuit - Accessories: a wide range of accessories is available.

Hope this email finds you well,

Cheers,
Terry

European control systems tend to differ to US systems in that we use a grounded common rail as the return. Therefore all control elements of a circuit must be from the single hot rail, the American system allows elements either side of the coil fed from two hot rails.
There is a historical reason for this which goes back to the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] WW. It’s been a bone of contention ever since, “we’re right, you’re wrong” coming from both sides. There’s also a safety issue regarding ground faults if we used the American system here.
C-DOL_zps1bbc9825.gif

P-DOL_zps8f142ec8.gif

If you are using a 220V 2Ph motor the overload relay has to be wired slightly different to a 3Ph motor to stop the relay detecting an open phase.
SinglePhOL.jpg

Reply to ABB Contactor(A9) - Help needed. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net