Discuss ac/dc current transducer problem in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

mackos

-
Reaction score
Hi Guys.Got a multimeter current clamp adapter RS 206-630 (isotech ica 32n). Which is outputting -3.03v on the 100a range & -2.7v on the 600a range.The max output should be 600mv if reading 600a at the clamp.Anybody got any ideas what might be wrong with this meter or is it time to bin it.Thanks Mack.

Do you have a dc zero function?
when measuring dc amps the clamp can become magnetised and so give an offset zero reading.
Most meters can cancel this out as it is a basic problem.
However the other alternative is that the batteries are shot and the meter is reading badly because of this.
The values given are very far out if you are reading 3V instead of 0V and the maximum expected is 0.6V.

Do you have a dc zero function?
when measuring dc amps the clamp can become magnetised and so give an offset zero reading.
Most meters can cancel this out as it is a basic problem.
However the other alternative is that the batteries are shot and the meter is reading badly because of this.
The values given are very far out if you are reading 3V instead of 0V and the maximum expected is 0.6V.
Hi Richard Yes it does have a zero function but it doesn't seem to make much difference a few microamps at best. Also opening & closing the jaws doesn't help. I have fitted a new battery. Any other suggestions.Thanks Mack.

Have you tried it on another multimeter?
Are the leads damaged?
Have you tried reading a powerful d.c current but put the clamp the other way around?
Is the mulitmeter set on the correct range?
Perhaps just buying a budget Ac/dc current clamp meter may be the answer, cheaper and more convenient.

Hi Richard I have tried two other multimeters extech & mastech (waiting for my replacement Fluke to turn up in the post).The problem is whether the transducer is plugged directly into the meter or just measuring the voltage emitted from the transducer it is -3v dc. It would have been nice to get it working as it is AC/DC. I do have an AC clamp meter recommended by your site. I am trying to use it on mv but both meters autorange to v with the 3v input.tried a dc current test but meter only moving 3mv approx when pulling maybe 12a. I didn't know if anybody knew what the internal fault might be ie hall effect coil etc. Thanks again Mack.

I am afraid repairing a hall effect sensor is out of my range, the only thing I can think of is if there is a magnet stuck to the sensor.
The output is so great compared to the intended output that I would expect that the sensor circuitry has become damaged in some way.

I think, but do not know, that the device is very simple: a sensor in a field concentrating iron ring and the output is based on the magnetic field strength generated by the current flow, so I cannot see how you could get the sort of readings you get without there being something very wrong.

However this is just my view of the situation and could be erroneous.

Reply to ac/dc current transducer problem in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net