Discuss Acceptable departure? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

mhar

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Been working at a large property with a tt system with a 100mA upfront rcd. Works undertaken in 2012 (inc 3 x split load cu replacements) were not documented and not done to an acceptable standard, I am encouraging the customer to seek redress.

When testing my additions the 5 x trip test is tripping the upfront rcd (with all loads disconnected). I would prefer not to temporarily bypass this rcd for testing purposes as it would be obvious that someone has been 'in there' since the 2012 works which might prejudice or muddy the waters re any complaint about the 2012 works.

Therefore my additions are rcd protected and meet disconnection times, I just don't know if the 30mA rcd which should be providing the protection is tripping within spec as the upfront 100mA rcd is tripping (within the spec for a 30mA @ 5X) but I do know that between both rcds, I am meeting the required disconnection times. Is this an acceptable departure?

The upfront rcd is likely to be done away with providing we can get a DNO earth.

I am unable to speak to Stroma technical today, they are innundated.

Best of luck getting anything resolved on work done 7 years ago.
Surely if you don't link the out the 100ma you've not completed testing on your work.

You're not making any changes by linking out and clearly You have already "been in" the installation with your additions.

You can only be certain that the RCD you have installed works correctly by testing it. You cannot issue certification without testing it in full.

Surely not testing at ×5 would not be deemed a departure.

Thanks for the replies.

Surely not testing at ×5 would not be deemed a departure.

It was the sort of question where you know the answer but was hoping that because an rcd was tripping on the 150mA test, that would be sufficient. It is one of those jobs turning a bit sour and just want to be done with it, will return there tomorrow

I would prefer not to temporarily bypass this rcd for testing purposes

If it were me I would prefer to do just the opposite :cool: plus you have let yourself now become vulnerable to criticism of your own work

Also I wouldn't give a Monkeys whether it was evident I had linked out the 100m/amp rcd in order to complete my own work :)

I would prefer not to temporarily bypass this rcd for testing purposes

If it were me I would prefer to do just the opposite :cool: plus you have let yourself now become vulnerable to criticism of your own work

Also I wouldn't give a Monkeys whether it was evident I had linked out the 100m/amp rcd in order to complete my own work :)

if you can isolate all circuits other than the one you are intending to test, there is no increased risk introduced from bypassing the 100mA rcd for testing your own circuit.
REMEMBER TO REMOVE THE LINKS AFTERWARDS

Reply to Acceptable departure? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock