Discuss Adapting Chandelier for Marquee in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Great forum btw.

So I'm helping a friend out with his daughters wedding. Hes got a marquee and wants to hang a a chandelier.

Now we went along to the local Range/ B & Q and established that the chandeliers come with a chain which is mounted to a ceiling rose (which contains connections to choc box for wiring).

Essentially what we want to do it remove the ceiling rose and wire the the chandelier straight to others and then to the mains. The reason we do on want to the ceiling rose attached is because once we mount the the marquee it will essentially be hanging/dangling to one side.

What I have realised is that the ceiling rose has earth connection to the actual ceiling rose, am I right in suggesting that if we remove this we will have to use 3 core?

sort of chandelier we are considering:

Searchlight 5 Light Acrylic Stunning Matt Black Finish Stylish Chandelier 5054790447175 | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142854905016?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

if you look at how marquee companies all do it, they all seem to remove the ceiling rose.

marquee chandelier - Google Search - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=marquee+chandelier&rlz=1C1DIMA_enGB719GB719&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiHorfNr6PcAhXUa8AKHWszBmMQ_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=1094#imgrc=PwtEuhKs-fGR7M:

Any help would be great guys.

Cheers

Martin

You are better off hiring chandeliers which have already been adapted for this purpose, along with suitable cables to connect them and rigging equipment to install them.

If you are going to adapt your own chandeliers then you may need to replace the cable which feeds into it and install a suitably rated point for secondary suspension if these are to be rigged above peoples heads.

Hi Dave

The cost of hiring from which we did find was pretty crazy, it was cheaper to buy and adapt. We had a picture from it and it seemed to be the case that the ceiling rose was stripped out and cable straight to a cee from 16amp plug so they could daisy chain I guess.

So the chain stays intact.

Hi Dave

The cost of hiring from which we did find was pretty crazy, it was cheaper to buy and adapt. We had a picture from it and it seemed to be the case that the ceiling rose was stripped out and cable straight to a cee from 16amp plug so they could daisy chain I guess.

So the chain stays intact.

Yes they would most likely be fitted with a 16A plug as that is generally used by everyone doing temporary electrical installations for events.

I’m surprised that it’s cheaper to modify the chandeliers yourself with the added costs of insurance and all that.

Can't see a major issue for a one-off family party - as long as someone competent is doing the work (this is obviously important).

Most modern marquees are metal framed, suggesting any made up wiring looms and light fittings must be suitable. No reason why a competent person could not make up a loom, but the (say) Arctic cable and connectors would be a reasonable investment as well as the lights.

Tent companies try to escape their responsibilities by refusing to make the final, wiring loom connection to the supply. They let you plug it in!!

Avoiding, I suppose, the need to test a "new" circuit. The point of this being, the OP ought to be proficient in testing as well?

There's no reason you can't adapt your own chandelier, provided you don't electrocute anyone, the chandelier doesn't fall on anyone and you don't burn the marquee down.
Any of those could make your friend's daughter's big day memorable for the wrong reason.

Thankyou, I might have said "suitable" or flexible and hard wearing. I doubt if the event expects temperatures to -20C. BS7909 would look at this event as large/complex and requires someone electrically skilled to assess requirements and test appropriately.

I think people are over thinking this a bit. It's a one off for a friend's party. I know things need to be safe, but at this rate we'll end up with armoured cable buried under the garden, distro boxes everywhere, full test and certification for everything and god knows what.

Reply to Adapting Chandelier for Marquee in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net