Discuss Advice on CSCS/ECS in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

Victorcrane

Hi folks, I'm just about to start work on site again after two years and have been told by my prospective employer that I need a CSCS card. I've passed the exam for this and called for an application form for my card yesterday only to be told a CSCS is useless to me as I won't be allowed to work as an electricians mate on that card.

The person I spoke to said I need to obtain an ECS but having looked into this beforehand and made enquiries everyone I know in the trade so far has said I shouldn't bother with ECS until I'm fully qualified which will be in about a year. I even spoke some weeks back to a guy supposedly representing ECS and he told me himself not to bother.

So can anyone clear this up for me? I'm really quite confused as I'm getting so much conflicting information.

Cheers, Vic. :)

at the very least get a cscs card ,this shows youve done some basic safety thing
.ecs cards are affilated with cscsc cards .they list your qualifications but "mate"isnt a recognised grade.

Cheers Wayne, I've applied for the labourers cscs card for the time being in the hope that I'll at least be allowed on site. I'm told ECS offer a trainee card which would be perfectly suitable for myself but I was told by so many people that the process of obtaining one was rather more involved than necessary at this stage and that's why I went down the cscs route. I'm currently at level two 2330 going on to the level three day release and I just want to get out on site and do some work. :)

I have the CSCS (labourers) card as do half the other lads and they're 'mates.'
Another one is a fully qualified sparks and he has the same card too.

As you stated, the ECS goes some way towards showing your 'progression' if I'm not mistaken. Not sure of the details, had it explained to me whilst doing my exam but my memory is crap.

Anyway, CSCS to get you on site. Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

Reply to Advice on CSCS/ECS in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net