Discuss Advice Please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

adamjp

Right here goes im looking to train to become an electrician im fortunate enough to be able to commit full time to college this coming September so i will hopefully have my 2330 level 2 by next July and then from there i will continue studying and look to get into work. Now my question is i have been accepted by the RAF and i have chosen a career as a general technician electrical General Technician Electrical - Engineering and technical careers - RAF Careers do you think it would be best to take this opportunity or go to college and hope that the economic meltdown and lack of work picks up by the time im done with college. Cheers

Hi not knowing your age but guess your youngish? coming from a guy in his mid forties with many regrets for not doing things when i was younger, ie, being accepted has a radar tech in royal navy on leaving school but instead deciding on going to a garage to become a mechanic, did 3 years then moved into sales and stayed there until redundancy last december. If the navy is something you fancy it will give you great training, securitiy and many many opputunities. if you dont do it you may look back in years to come anh think "if only". but at the end of the day this is a question only you can answer, best of luck which ever way you decide to go.

Graham ( sparky in waiting )

Hey mate.

In your shoes I would take the RAF route.

The pro's far outweigh the con's, and with the state of our economy right now it's a great oppurtunity for you.

I turned the RAF down 11 years ago, and the British Arctic Survey Team who tapped me up when I was in college.

Still, you learn from your mistakes.

Go for it.:D

Cheers for the reply's i was thinking the RAF to be honest as it's the best of both worlds i get the chance to further my study's as well as gaining work experience which tends to count for more than just a qualification. Also reading on the RAF forums i spoke to a guy who does the job in the RAF and he's currently working in Hawaii!! That sounds good to me.

Adam, im also looking into the british armed services, royal navy electrical to be exact..
Engineering Technician (Marine Engineering) : Engineering & Mechanics : Careers / Roles : Careers : Royal Navy
Joining the services seems a good sensible option with the economic crisis in progress, but remember you may be away from family and friends quite a while and also this type of work doesn't work for everyone so think hard about it and dont rush into it..
Ive just completed my level 2 in electrical at college and progressing through my nvq level 3 at the minute.., But the royal navy will be a new start once again i think. New apprenticship, new job - (hopefully secure), new future.

Let us know you option..
Dan

I binned three years of anapprenticeship to join up and no real regrets. My service record has always counted for more with employers than those three years on day release ever will. I'm assuming you'll probably get a chance at qualifications whilst your in and you night even get to do it all under fire! Now that's job satisfaction :O)

My last piece of advice is don't join the Navy or RAF as they're a bit ****.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Advice Please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock