Discuss Alternator wiring in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am changing the alternator on an old tractor. The old alternator has one D+ terminal that receives power only when the key is on. The new alternator I am retrofitting has an S (sensor) and L (lamp?) terminal.

From what I can understand, the wiring for the new alternator is as such;
S terminal to B+ (battery positive post)
L terminal to wire that fed D+ on old alternator (for the purpose of dash lamp)

If hooked up this way will the sensor wire drain the battery over time when the tractor is not running?
Will the dash lamp go out as it should when alternator is making sufficient power?

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks guys!

Is the tractor positive or negative earth?
Sensor shouldn’t do anything until the key is turned.
Negative earth, from what I understand the 'L' terminal receives power from the ignition switch - through the dash lamp - to excite the alternator and then becomes powered and current stops flowing and the dash lamp goes out. Is this correct?

Was it definitely an alternator before and not a dynamo?

The 'L' terminal receives power from the ignition switch - through the dash lamp - to excite the alternator and then becomes powered and current stops flowing and the dash lamp goes out. Is this correct?

Yes this is correct on systems where there is no direct connection from switched positive to the alternator, a.k.a. 'machine excited' alternators. The name comes from the fact that there are separate diodes to power the excitation directly from the stator once the machine is running, rather than drawing power from a switched positive input. Not all alternators work this way though.

will the sensor wire drain the battery over time when the tractor is not running

A well designed battery-sensed regulator takes minimal current through the sense lead and will not cause the battery to discharge appreciably faster than it would self-discharge anyway.

Yes this is correct on systems where there is no direct connection from switched positive to the alternator, a.k.a. 'machine excited' alternators. The name comes from the fact that there are separate diodes to power the excitation directly from the stator once the machine is running, rather than drawing power from a switched positive input. Not all alternators work this way though.

A well designed battery-sensed regulator takes minimal current through the sense lead and will not cause the battery to discharge appreciably faster than it would self-discharge anyway.
That's great news, thanks for your help Lucien Nunes.

Reply to Alternator wiring in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock