Discuss Am I right in thinking this? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gordiek

DIY
Reaction score
Fitting a dashcam into new car. In my old car I had a piggy back fuse to a female cig connector and just plugged the dashcams male cig into it and had lots of room to bundle the wires beh8nd the dash ..

in the new car I can’t do that Due to space so I need to cut off the cig lighter stuff and replace it. If I look in the dashcams male connector (my dashcam uses 12v/1amp input) I see all it seems to have is the switch off/on and the 1 amp fuse.

Am I right in assuming all I need to do is to cut off that 12v socket and replace with a simple inline fuse with a 1amp fuse in it?

i know it seems obvious perhaps but given the potential to mess up the camera or car electrics I wanted to ask advise.

tia
Gordon

TL;DR
Posted in wrong forum ..should be in auto electrics
No, the 12V cigarette lighter plug will probably have a 12V to 5VDC converter in it.

Probably best to get hold of a 12V cigarette lighter socket and plug the lead into that. Then you can connect wires from that to your 12V source.

If you have opened up the plug and confirmed that there's no voltage regulator in there, then yes - just remove the plug and wire it up with an inline fuse. But check first - some contain a voltage regulator, some don't.

No, the 12V cigarette lighter plug will probably have a 12V to 5VDC converter in it.

Probably best to get hold of a 12V cigarette lighter socket and plug the lead into that. Then you can connect wires from that to your 12V source.
The camera input is 12v so it don't see why it would do a step down .. the little board in the cig socket looks a simple switch on/off but I am no expert hence why I asked.

Thanks

The camera input is 12v so it don't see why it would do a step down .. the little board in the cig socket looks a simple switch on/off but I am no expert hence why I asked.

Thanks

If that's the case then yes, no problem. All the dashcams I've seen have used a step down converter.

Reply to Am I right in thinking this? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net