Discuss am2 before nvq expired in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi question whats my best route
ive just done the am2 and past
my nvq has expired as i took a while before completing the am2
i have level 2 and 3 and 18th and the am2

what's the difference between the eal and city guilds route
i know i don't have to do the am2e extra bit

assessor built im after

HI All Think nvq expires means that the op has come to the end of the period (1 year i think) from the date of sign up after which the op either re- pays entirely ( starts again form scratch) or tries to extend on a month by month paid basis (fees payable).
Assessor built i believe is where the assessor write up the bulk of the description for the photographs that the op has taken.
Assessor built has higher fees involved .
i think the Am2 has an expiration period from the date of sitting till the date it can be used as part of the nvq.
BUT i might be wrong
cheers

HI All Think nvq expires means that the op has come to the end of the period (1 year i think) from the date of sign up after which the op either re- pays entirely ( starts again form scratch) or tries to extend on a month by month paid basis (fees payable).
Assessor built i believe is where the assessor write up the bulk of the description for the photographs that the op has taken.
Assessor built has higher fees involved .
i think the Am2 has an expiration period from the date of sitting till the date it can be used as part of the nvq.
BUT i might be wrong
cheers
I wasn't aware of any time limit between doing NVW and sitting the AM2?

BUT i might be wrong
cheers
NVQ's are stand alone qualifications and are not dependant on anything else, or need anything else to part of them.

Hi question whats my best route
ive just done the am2 and past
my nvq has expired as i took a while before completing the am2
i have level 2 and 3 and 18th and the am2

what's the difference between the eal and city guilds route
i know i don't have to do the am2e extra bit

assessor built im after
How long has your NVQ expired?
And we’re your Levels 2&3 with EAL or C&Gs.?
Also did you do a fast track level 3, or the 42month (3/half year) apprentice [one day a week college] version.?

I don't think thats quite right either, I think you only have to have some work experience as an electrician to take the AM2.

Doesn't matter what anyone thinks, none of the three versions of AM2 assessment can be booked without proof of NVQ being attained through one of the accepted training routes.

AM2 is not a stand alone qualification. NET are very clear about this.

Don't wish to start an argument NBD, but this document does not mention the requirement for an NVQ to book an assessment for AM2E:

IMO the problem with all of this is the lack of a professional body or legislation to administer all of the made up organisations purporting to be a definitive organisation to obtain the status of a qualified electrician, the only organisation that comes anywhere near close is the City and Guilds, the statement "Recognised Training Provider" is not defined and just seems to exist to ride on the back of any other organisation so they may perpetuate each other, who is this body that "Recognises" these training providers, they certainly aren't Government recognised, just recognised by each other.

Last edited:
Don't wish to start an argument NBD, but this document does not mention the requirement for an NVQ to book an assessment for AM2E:

Other documents are available and all NET registered test centres are clear about the requirement of relevant level 3 qualification.

If you can't book an AM2 without proof of that qualification I think it's fair to state the qualification is mandatory.

Doesn't matter what anyone thinks, none of the three versions of AM2 assessment can be booked without proof of NVQ being attained through one of the accepted training routes.

right i done proper collage 1 day a week level 2 and 3 2.5 years,
i started the eal nvq level 2 2019 quicksteps ( covid time)
went for the am2 2022 passed half harder than i thought/ i decided to give up personal reasons a lot going on
went back nov 2023 started to pass the am2 come jan 2024 passed the am2
as i started the am2 at the end of the nvq i could still do it as 2 years for the am2 to be done

thats the issue the nvq expired and it was the older one before they changed it
The am2 was booked when i was doing the nvq

Compare and contrast:

What do you mean

hi i started the am2 at the end of the older nvq eal
am2 2 years to do
i just passed the am2 with one month to spare expire
thats why the nvq has expired was finshed

Reply to am2 before nvq expired in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net