Discuss AMD3 Metal Clad is starting to irk me... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

NDG Elecs

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So, lots of discussion already had about this, and I am firmly and tightly in the nowt bleeding wrong with insulated CUs camp. But I am starting to give customers the option of metal clad or plastic and the implications of it all...and I gotta say I am starting to get well and truly sick of explaining the pro's and con's of each type... I feel obliged to inform customers of the impending CU reg change... Sometimes I wish I kept quiet and just said yeah that'll be three hundred squid love I will come an do it on Friday!! Roll on January I say, although I will then be explaining to everyone why changing a CU costs so much!! Love it I do!

But not everyone will be fitting Amd 3 DBs in domstic premises, the DIYers will fit plastic ones completely unaware of the change.

Yeah agreed Dill, and that adds to the problem. When I say its £400 or whatever for a NC CU I will end up with clients saying my friend Sheila down the road had hers done recently and it was not metal and was £300..... Its an ill thought out and pain in the arse reg this one!

I installed a few metal Contactum boards, including in my own house, a bit more expensive, but not so much.
I recently installed one of the new Wylex metal boards, this was a lot more expensive, compared to a plastic one.

The main difference from the Contactum board is that the Wylex has a nice hinged metal cover that encloses the front of the MCBs/RCBOs etc. So if an MCB catches fires, it contains the flames. Whereas the Contactum board just has a flimsy perspex cover. I wondered if the Contactum one will actually meet the new regs?

Contactum have just released their amd3 board, it has the same hinged metal cover arrangement as the rest.
Now has anyone noticed how much they resemble the old grey MK metalclad LN range boards?

Contactum have just released their amd3 board, it has the same hinged metal cover arrangement as the rest. Now has anyone noticed how much they resemble the old grey MK metalclad LN range boards

Do you happen to know anyone stocking these yet? I looked at TLC, where I usually buy Contactum, and they only have the old style.

£37 difference on metal vs plastic 16 way Contactum board...

Yep fair play. Plus will be fitting the metal tails/main earth gland though. Not sure of all the prices yet for the amd3 boards as the internet is still a bit bereft of info. A lot of metal clad still have the plastic breaker cover. Got a price of £118 plus vat for a Hager 5+5 from eddys.. Price difference there is around £50 I think.

Yep fair play. Plus will be fitting the metal tails/main earth gland though. Not sure of all the prices yet for the amd3 boards as the internet is still a bit bereft of info. A lot of metal clad still have the plastic breaker cover. Got a price of £118 plus vat for a Hager 5+5 from eddys.. Price difference there is around £50 I think.

The prices will eventually fall when they don't have old stock they need to get rid of

Reply to AMD3 Metal Clad is starting to irk me... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net