Discuss An interesting customer observation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

I did an EICR a few weeks back that highlighted a number of problems, with a CU change advised.

So I went back on Monday, changed the CU and redid the EICR ..... then sent both documents to the client along with my invoice

They emailed me today, so I pointed out they diffent - this is their response!

"Yes one is EIC and the other is EICR. But the actual documents look exactly the same in terms of the content. Unless you can pinpoint where the actual differences in the two reports are?"

Can anybody actually tell me why we do all those dam tick boxes on an EIC?

Was an amemdment 3 thing wasn't it ?
I think the reasoning was to force all the numpty installers to actually look at the things they should be doing, along with the "Gate shutting after the horse has bolted" requirement for metal CUs

i have had a similar experience supply the customer a periodic and when you then change a CU that is at the end of its life, they think you are scamming them as they cant understand why they have paid for 2 things when a lot of it looks alike.

Noticed the forms were different yesterday, we only see blank printed forms then the QS types it up with the computer, so it may have changed within the last week or 2 when I last got another. The periodics are a different layout but I can't find any old forms to compare, the further investigation column has now gone, and Tick for ok has now changed to Pass. A colleague and I were filling an electrical installation cert and we both noticed it was different, nothing major, and I'm not sure what changed but it must have been something!

Noticed the forms were different yesterday, we only see blank printed forms then the QS types it up with the computer, so it may have changed within the last week or 2 when I last got another. The periodics are a different layout but I can't find any old forms to compare, the further investigation column has now gone, and Tick for ok has now changed to Pass. A colleague and I were filling an electrical installation cert and we both noticed it was different, nothing major, and I'm not sure what changed but it must have been something!

Ah right, sounds like what mine already look like

At least the customer read them, most get filed in the bottom of a drawer somewhere.

I realise we have to do the paperwork and also that it does serve a purpose but I think a degree of common sense is acceptable too.
I have recently done 2 EICR's, on both of them they required quite a bit of work including CU replacements. Both clients wanted a satisfactory EICR so I gave them a quote for the work. I then did the work and gave an EICR and an EIC.
I realise that isn't quite solving your problem but it does decrease the amount of paperwork by one (unsatisfactory) EICR.
I can't see a way to reduce the paperwork by more than that when doing an EICR and a CU change.

I never reissue an EICR with "Satisfactory" on it. I simply send them the Unsatisfactory EICR, do the remedial work if asked, and then certify the remedial work I have done. There is no reason to give a second EICR.
True.....but some don't like the word 'unsatisfactory' lingering and just want one without the 'un'.
I did a large one last year and the client just wanted a good result so I had to alter about 100 pages, after corrections, to give him the OK.....sheeesh!......Might as well have done two.
Just had to wait another month for his cert.

I just redo the eicr to show satisfactory and no C1 or C2 after completion of necessary remedial work to do so.

What’s the difference in time from filling out an EIC to redoing the EICR?

The customer wants a satisfactory result and they’re willing to pay for it by having the appropriate remedial works completed. So what’s the issue?

I never reissue an EICR with "Satisfactory" on it. I simply send them the Unsatisfactory EICR, do the remedial work if asked, and then certify the remedial work I have done. There is no reason to give a second EICR.
Well not unless they want to pay you for doing another, in theory could do.

Reply to An interesting customer observation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net